Author Topic: RAF Interior Green  (Read 4119 times)

meremodeller

• View Profile
RAF Interior Green
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
You may remember that I explained how Extracrylix XA1010 Grey/Green didn't last more than a month or two before it wouldn't airbrush and that I was looking for an alternative. Now I picked up from MZ Hull last week Tamiya XF71 which is labelled 'Cockpit Green (IJN)' and has a very pale green top. On airbrushing as a test it's almost a perfect match for colour chip of RAF Grey Green in the 'RAF Colours' book that was produced many years ago by the RAF Museum.
I've attached a photo of Tamiya on the left, Extracrylix Middle and good old Humbrol Enamel 78 on the right, the later two being hand brushed.
Now, you may already know all of this, in which case 'ignore' but if you don't then you have learnt something new and will be able to paint all the interiors of your Spitfires safe in the knowledge you may be right!
Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Interior Green
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:44:48 AM »
This is all well and good, but .........
How accurately have the colours been reproduced by your camera, what lighting was it photographed under and so on.
Colour being in the eye of the beholder - a minefield in other words, I could go on about real colour versus scale colour and so on etc. etc.
Just winding you up really Bill!!!!!!!!!!

See you next week.
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

meremodeller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
Well, I won't go into the lighting conditions when I took the photo but I will say they were all closer to the standard chip when viewed with the MK 1 Eyeball and Extracrylix was considerably closer when new although it has a satin finish.
Will MZ have any left in their sale?
Bill

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »
Dear Meremodeller,

I can agree with you, I find the Tamiya IJN Green a good representative of the cockpit green of British fighters, and more importantly to you, Spitfires......................

However could there be an explanation the Inscrutable Japanese manufacturers were the original manufacturers of 'Cockpit Green' and this is how they got the colour so close???

Joking apart, it is what I use, despite what  a rivet counter, paint expert, or just an armchair expert says. Remember Col. Tony's saying TLAR =  That Looks All Right

Cheers,

Kevin
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
I always use "blackened, twisted and blistered metal" paint for the interior of my Spitfires. 

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »
I thought that in your case it would just be twisted and warped?????????
Grumpy by name and nature