Author Topic: Derelict Barn  (Read 950 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Derelict Barn
« on: January 16, 2024, 07:19:25 PM »
Hello all,

when I was visiting family in Somerset for Christmas 2022, I saw this derelict barn just South South West of the A358 off the roundabout to Cosford St Luke, about 300 yards down Dene Road.  I thought it would make a smashing project for a 1/72 scale vignette so I reversed into the bit of hard standing in front of the tubed steel gate and had a wander over to take some pictures, which are attached for your pleasure.

On my visit last Christmas, I was a bit cross to see it had now been demolished and a huge pile of sand and some modern building materials had been dumped in its place.  I didn't take any pictures of that lot, but you can still see the barn in all its former glory on google maps if you type in "Dene Road Somerset"  You can be sure I'll check back regularly to see when this is updated.

Anyway, I'm currently gathering materials to beging the planning and construction so will update you as things progress.  This is likely to be slowly at the beginning but once things start getting glued together, momentum will build.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Derelict Barn
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 08:07:00 PM »
Think they have pulled it down because its haunted - look at photo 4 and 5 a very strange ghostly figure - hohohho
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 08:51:00 PM »
Think they have pulled it down because its haunted - look at photo 4 and 5 a very strange ghostly figure - hohohho

I think its the man from S.H.A.D.O.W. .........
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 01:29:59 PM »
That should keep you busy for a while Dave.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 03:08:13 PM »
The tussock grass should be easy, lumps of foliage just teased out a bit. Looks like this will be a long project?

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 06:02:37 PM »
I decided I should at least start planning even if I didn?t feel well enough to start building yet - but then, anything in my head always turn out completely different anyway and it tends to just throw itself together so I gathered a few bits of balsa, mounting card of varying thicknesses and got the bare bones down. The full barn is too big for what I have in mind so I?m building just a section of it and my (not yet finished) Jagdpanzer will be the proud new occupant.

The pre-cast concrete base is a couple of bits of dense foam which I finally got to use my lockdown purchase hot wire cutter on and I?ll be building the structure from there. No idea what direction it will take but that?s the wAy I roll  ;D

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 06:22:45 PM »
At least you have made a start......
We expect it to proceed at ever increasing speed from now on.............Hohohoho

Nice to have you back.
Kevin

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 02:33:34 PM »
Looking forward to this Dave.
Chris

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 07:17:36 PM »
As advised, things are moving slowly - the usual two things got in the way; life and wife! Anyway I?m now able to spend a bit of time most evenings doing something. My build strategy is always chaotic so I often end up correcting or adjusting as I go.
As you can see I now have the general construction under way and was quite pleased until I put the planks on the wall and checked the scale of them against a 1/72 scale figure. Far too wide, so I had to score each one in situ to make them half as wide. This also means I can take a few off as per my reference picture and it will look more to scale. I will be setting this into a larger piece of ground work so the base will be flush with the floor but that?s some way off yet.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 08:13:33 PM »
The 'wanderer' returns..........
Kevin