Author Topic: Wilfholme (River Hull) flooding  (Read 852 times)

Jonners

• View Profile
Wilfholme (River Hull) flooding
« on: January 08, 2024, 11:32:18 AM »
Not modelling related, but I thought this would be of passing interest to local club members. These are photos that I took a few days ago of the flooding at Wilfholme Landing, just to the south of the Tophill Low nature reserve. The rectangular red brick building near the centre of the first pic (looking east) is the Environment Agency pumping Station that normally moves water from the Beverley and Barmston drain into the river Hull, which is embanked and has a level that is about 8-9 feet above the surrounding farmland.

If the River Hull breaches its banks then Hull city, and especially Kingswood, will flood; to reduce this risk the EA drain pumps are switched off, which causes the drain to flood. This is the result.

My wife keeps her horse at the farm adjacent to the pumping station. Looking at the photos, you can imagine the impact that this has had on a cattle farm and full livery yard...

Jon
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 11:35:13 AM by Jonners »

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Wilfholme (River Hull) flooding
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 01:46:19 PM »
That puts it all into perspective.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 08:43:04 PM »
Hi Jon,
Those are amazing pictures. Just goes to show the extent of flooding in our neck of the woods.
Hope things get to normal soon for your wife's livery issue.
Kevin
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 05:13:59 PM »
The photos are awesome. Our eldest son used to live at North Frodingham and there's online drone footage of the flooding around there. I don't think it got into the village and luckily tey now live in Atwick.

Jonners

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 07:41:57 PM »
It's certainly a privileged viewpoint. The horses and cattle haven't quite had enough time to evolve gills yet, but thankfully the water level has stopped rising just enough to keep most of the barns and stables dry...but only just. The smallholding just up the road was less fortunate and is completely under water, including the house which is knee-deep on its ground floor.

The strange orange tint and line of odd yellow circles isn't some strange algae bloom - it's just the reflection in the window of my snazzy outfit!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 04:57:24 PM by Jonners »

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 02:20:30 PM »
Joy riding!
Is that allowed.
Grumpy by name and nature