Author Topic: DHC 6 Twin Otter  (Read 1816 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Re: DHC 6 Twin Otter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2023, 03:06:05 PM »
The white has been worked on but there will still be some more to do once everything is put together. The blue areas have been masked off where required and coats of Deep Sky Blue applied. Test fitting the wing to the fuselage showed that some carving and filing was required to get a good fit. Once happy with this all the minute actuators on the underside were added. The decals required cutting out individually as they're on a constant backing sheet and were teated with Set and Sol, followed by a coat of Klear tp protect them during future handling. As this is a 'one size fits all' fuselage not all the window outlines are present so care was taken to align then as best as. The red at the tips of the floats has been and masked so the walkways could be painted Tamiya Semi gloss Black.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2023, 03:15:18 PM »
Nice work Chris.
This is coming along nicely. Will look really good when it comes together.
Now, what about a diorama?
Kevin
I hope my next is always better

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2023, 01:35:26 PM »
Looking very good Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 05:40:24 PM »
It's going on a plinth Kev as a present.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2023, 11:12:56 AM »
All the blue areas have now been painted or touched up. The decals for the body were applied before fitting the wings. As this is a generic kit there are only so many fuselage windows moulded into the plastic this means the window and stripe decal had to be carefully applied. I made a mistake in putting the cockpit glazing decal on before the blue antidazzle panel so there is a slight gap. On looking closer it appears that that decal wouldn't fit properly anyway so....... The engines were fixed to the one piece wing which was then put in place followed by the struts with the tailplanes going on last.
The floats had the red noses painted then they were masked so I could paint the black walkways. There are what appear to be black decals for these but they don't follow the paint scheme which is why I painted. Now we come to tricky part, joining the floats. The struts are thin with minute locating pips and the recesses in the floats are small. I drilled these out to hopefully help with the fitting. I tried various ways of aligning the floats so I could join them and eventually settled on a bag of lentils which allowed me to adjust as the glue was setting. No Martin it hasn't run aground!!!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2023, 11:22:48 AM »
In all the Christmas excitement I forgot to add the photos, doh!!!!!

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2023, 01:05:38 PM »
Looking good Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2023, 03:45:45 PM »
After several attempts I managed to get the floats attached. I ended up fitting foam between the floats and resting the body onto this to attach them. The hard part was getting the struts to line up. The miniscule aerial was then fitted behind the cockpit and a coat of Klear applied after touch ups of white. Once cured the propellers were fitted and also coated. The stripes on these were put on using a Sharpie. The completed plane has now been superglued to the plinth and boxed up ready to given when we see our son and his wife.
Not the easiest of kits if you go for the floatplane version but worth the effort in the end, as again I've learnt something and isn't that what modellings about?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2023, 03:49:14 PM »
Nicely Done Chris.
Sweet and Neat. Well done.
Kevin
I hope my next is always better

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2024, 01:17:54 PM »
Very nice Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2024, 02:13:44 PM »
Thanks. Our daughter-in-law was so happy when I gave it to her, job accomplished.