Author Topic: Ford V3000S/SSM Maultier  (Read 2289 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Ford V3000S/SSM Maultier
« on: July 26, 2023, 03:14:11 PM »
This is the first IBG kit I've built and it has a lot of parts spread over 8 sprues, some of which aren't relevant to this build and some of which are very small. There's also an etched brass fret (fun later?), a clear sprue for the windows and a decal sheet with two Luftwaffe options. The instructions come in a comprehensive booklet.
I started this build whilst waiting for the superglue and filler to set on the Bv.192. The engine is well detailed but unfortunately most of it will be hid on the completed model.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Ford V3000S/SSM Maultier
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 03:16:05 PM »
Should turn into a nice model.
Grumpy by name and nature

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 11:19:32 AM »
An interesting variation on the German half track theme. Looking very good so far. Bronco, ICM and Takom all seem to favour tiny parts some that need a micro surgeons hand to deal with I find. Generally the finished results are pretty good, so worth staying the course.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 01:13:52 PM »
I have built some of their 1/35 stuff and it is nice.
I also built a Maultier or two for my V2 rocket dioramas.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 05:06:35 PM »
It's becoming apparent that not all the parts are numbered, i.e. cab front and glazing, and that locations are vague at times, But I will persevere!!

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 09:13:10 PM »
You will win in the end Chris numbers or not
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 01:47:13 PM »
Looks detailed so far.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 02:34:46 PM »
After several attempts the front has finally gone together, in the end I glued the bonnet to the cab front and worked down to the mudguards and running boards. Thanks Chris W for your input at the last PlayDay. Work continued on the chassis with the addition of the axles and drive then you get to the 'interesting' bit. There are what appear to be 4 mud shoes/guides which are each made up from two pieces of etch. The plate is straight forward but one of the arms has a 90deg bend in it whilst the other has to be set at 27deg with the top bend running in line with the other arm. SERIOUSLY? Yes Francis they are fiddly to say the least. Much consternation and superglue later I got them something like and then you have to fit them to the chassis with the area they fit on not being user friendly. Next up is the running gear made up from two suspension arms and two small wheels, again fiddly but I got there in the end.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 02:26:50 PM »
Good progress there Chris. It's looking good.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2023, 03:40:15 PM »
Sub assemblies made and now to try and fit them all together. The running gear kept dropping off, even with the use of CA gel and PlastiWeld, due to the miniscule attachment points. The cargo body and tilt have been painted and weathered plus the mudguards attached, I'll fit the tailgate once it's on the chassis. The doors for the cab will be left off, as will all the other parts that could fall off whilst assembling,

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2023, 03:49:39 PM »
The track links are now in place, IBG have put some areas as 'big' pieces which helps with just the areas around the drive and idle sprockets being single pieces. At times I wished they'd done the bogies in one piece as per the Airfix Bren carrier, but I persevered and got there in the end. All the major components were then put together. It's just a case of adding the small items then weathering.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2023, 05:33:44 PM »
Looking good.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2023, 01:44:41 PM »
Nicely done Chris.
Chris

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2023, 10:10:03 AM »
Impressive detail for such a small scale Chris. An interesting variation on the usual German half tracks.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2023, 12:41:23 PM »
Doors, headlights and Notek light fitted along with the spade and the 'jerrycan' in it's holder. The etch brass legs of this broke off, being so fine, so I did a field 'ersatz' repair using Evergreen strip. Decals had been applied to the doors and I had to source a front license plate as both the etch number plate and decal were too big to fit where required. Then it was time for a coat of Humbrol Matt Acrylic varnish followed by weathering using Flory washes.
A nice looking kit but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.