Author Topic: Bv P.192/01  (Read 2427 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Bv P.192/01
« on: June 24, 2023, 05:50:58 PM »
This is a recent re-issue of the Unicraft kit comprising 17 resin parts plus a clear vacform canopy, so this will be another 'labour of love' with lots of sandling, fettling and trying the pieces etc. As there's no cockpit detail I had a rummage through the spares box to come up with items which I'll try and fit, I also sourced replacement propellor blades, spares from the recent Matchbox Wellington build. There are no build instructions just drawings of how the plane is supposed to look. Hmm.........
The Blohm und Voss P.192 was a paper project designed to a 1944 RLM request for a Ju 87 replacement. With the engine and propellor being mounted behind the cockpit structural integrity was increased by fitting two booms from the wing leading edges, joined to the nose by small 'winglets'. The /01 differed from the /02 only in the shape of the tailplane, the /01 being straight and the /02 tapered on both edges towards the tips.
As this will definitely be a 'tail-sitter' I've made a start grinding out the nose area to allow weight to be put in. This will also mean that I will most likely have to make the nose leg from tubing.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Bv P.192/01
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 08:59:03 PM »
This will keep you quiet for a while - hohohohoho - enjoy  :o :o :o
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 02:48:13 PM »
Many a true word....  There's 'scrathces' in surfaces to deal with without losing detail as well as the usual mould blocks etc.

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 03:06:04 PM »
Happy days ahead - hohohhoho
MSea

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 02:27:57 PM »
It looks a lot better than the Unicraft Fletcher Fu24 kit I got from them which is truly unbuildable.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 03:49:35 PM »
This going to take a lot of tlc Francis. The casting blocks have been sawn off parts and mating surfaces carved and rubbed down using wet and dry, with the obligatory mask worn. A start has been made putting detail into the cockpit and this will be added to once the fuselage has been joined up. Blue tack and BB pellets have been positioned to hopefully stop tailsitting, with more to follow once the superglue dries.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 01:41:00 PM »
Certainly a labour of love Chris.
What a strange place to have the propeller though.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 01:36:56 PM »
Indeed it is Chris. The fuselage halves were joined followed by fitting the tail section which had already had work started on it for the tailplanes. Unfortunately the section marked to cut out is not the same profile as the unit, so more work to follow. The fuselage and tail seams have been filled and sanded but I know they'll need touching up once a coat of primer is applied. The wings are supposed to have radiators in the leading edges, near to the fuselage. These were not moulded sufficiently so new, albeit larger ones, have been made using 'h' section rail from the spares box which have started to be blended in. One of my biggest loves about Luft46 is no one can tell you somethings wrong as I only have to say it's a production modification.
To ensure I had enough clearance for the cockpit canopy, which is a spare from the Bronco Bv P.178, I attached it using Maskol and then after sanding so much of the frame applied PPP to fill the gaps. Once set the filler had set I removed the canopy and fitted the seat and frame. These and the filler were then painted RLM 66. Holes were drilled in the wings and fuselage for pins to strengthen the joint as well as in the wings and fuselage for the undercarriage. As there are no undercarriage doors in the kit I used the brass rubbing technique to copy the panel lines in the wings, with the fuselage doors to follow.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 03:26:18 PM »
Calamities!!!!! First one: the canopy had a mark in it that I tried to erase the usual way using sanding pads. This didn't work instead it got worse and worse with whatever means I tried. It got so bad that I gave up and went back to preparing the kit vacform one. Second one: I'd straightened the slight kink in the tail and fitted and blended the tailplane in so it was time for primer. However when I took it outside to spray it it fell, broke off the tail and split the fuselage ####!!!! So it's two steps forward three steps back, hmm........ Looks like I'll need a little help from Pat and Percy on this one. (When I was an apprentice one of my Instructors said at times you need help from Pat and Percy, sic Patience and Perseverance).

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 03:33:52 PM »
I was told at sea not to bother with"Pat and Percy" but to just hit it with a hammer, if you can't fix it with a hammer its not fixable - hohohohho
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 03:11:42 PM »
I was told at sea not to bother with"Pat and Percy" but to just hit it with a hammer, if you can't fix it with a hammer its not fixable - hohohohho
That explains a lot.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 11:21:12 AM »
It looks like there was some fantastic modelling going on whilst we were away on holiday. Well done everyone.
Right back to reality. Before going away I'd superglued everything back together and hoped that it all would be something like upon returning. As it looked good it was just a case of tidying up the seams and adding a bit more filler. No doubt there will be more once the next layer of undercoat is applied to check. I removed the forward sponsons (?) and winglets from the blocks and superglued the sponsons in place using the plans as a guide. And here's where it gets interesting yet again. The model is smaller than the 1/72 plans, probably due to resin shrinkage. This is definitely not a 'shake and bake' kit!!!!

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 12:52:29 PM »
Some progress anyway Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2023, 03:04:40 PM »
The 'canards' have been added and blended in, one was short for some reason so took a bit of fettling. More filler was used on and around the model as more and more blemished reared their heads. Openings for the sponson mounted cannons have been cut and a resin off cut has been placed behind the pilot's seat for a radio. The nosewheel is a spare from an original Airfix Me 262 and the main oleo legs have been made from aluminium tube and brass wire. Everything was attached using superglue gel and a trial run was made of sitting it on it's legs and yes it's a tail-sitter despite the amount of weight I've put in the front. The main oleo legs are correct to the plan but short for the wheelwell markings on the underside of the wing, hmmm..... U/C doors have been made from plastic card and will be fitted shortly.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 05:13:44 PM »
I managed to extend one of the undercarriage legs but had to remake the other. Once the wheels were test fitted it appeared to cure the tailsitting, but we'll see what twists fate has in store!!! Before fitting the u/c doors I'd painted the 'spinner' Vallejo White followed by RLM 04 Yellow which was then masked with Tamiya tape. Retraction jacks were made from Evergreen strip and attached, along with a spare DF loop, before a thinned coat of Vallejo RLM 76 V2 Lichtblau was applied to the upper surfaces this was applied using flow improver, which I think I over did as it's the first time I've used it so it will need another coat.