Author Topic: Fokker D.XXI  (Read 1469 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Fokker D.XXI
« on: April 10, 2023, 03:15:59 PM »
Whilst I'm waiting for the canopy masks for the Lancaster to arrive I've dug this out as a quick (?) build. It's the 1990 Pioneer kit of the Dutch Fokker D.XXI. I already have one of these in a box somewhere which I thought was a PM kit but they only issued it in 2000, I'd made mine years and years ago so it's either a Frog original from the 1963-75 period, which I doubt, or more likely the Novo 1979 release. Anyhow I wanted to attempt the Dutch 3 colour scheme so bought a 'new/2nd hand' one as mine is in the Finnish colours. The kit is sparse to say the least 36 grey plastic parts, 5 of which aren't used if you don't make the ski version and one clear part for the canopy. Like the instruction sheet the decals have seen better days but I still have an original set of Dutch markings in my spares box so we'll see what happens. The colour scheme is on the back of the box with no callout numbers so some research is needed for internal and external colours.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fokker D.XXI
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 08:19:27 PM »
Hi Chris,
Did you happen to see the series about restored Warbirds a few months back? It is still on catch up, but interestingly for you it had a whole programme on the Fokker D.XXI and its restoration to flying.
Some interesting flying footage of the originals, and probably the interior colours and final colouring might be of some help too.
An under rated aircraft by all accounts. It'll be interesting to see your progress.
Kevin
I hope my next is always better

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 09:38:09 AM »
An interesting model.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks Kev, which catch-up? iPlayer? Apparently the one in the Dutch Museum is painted wrong  according to one author, the 'sand' should be greyer. One website says the Dutch copied early German paints so RLM 61,62 and 63 could be used, I have these for another build so..... Another one says that the Green is near RLM 80, I have this also. Decisions, decisions!!!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 02:27:49 PM »
Colour, well it all depends on so many factors, just go with what feels right.
No two eyes see things the same, photographs depend on so many factors.
Then there is wear and tear, weathering etc.

I never know how people can be so sure!
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 04:02:29 PM »
Colour, well it all depends on so many factors, just go with what feels right.
No two eyes see things the same, photographs depend on so many factors.
Then there is wear and tear, weathering etc.

I never know how people can be so sure!

I agree with Zak. Colour is so subjective, I don't think there is a definitive answer as everything is affected by Light, Heat, moisture, etc. I think you should go with Col. Tony's theory 'TLAR' That looks about right, even if it differs to the officially quoted standards.
Kevin

PS. Will check about the 'Warbirds' info and let you know.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 09:13:20 AM »
I see you lot are joining me and Haddock with the comments about paint colour - as Haddock used to say"it depends on so many different things including the person who is using the paint brush" - so rivet counters do your worse and remember its a hobby for FUN  ;D ;D ;D
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 01:56:04 PM »
Some extra detailing was done in the cockpit by adding rudders pedals and seat belts, the fuselage was then closed up and time was spent removing the joint lines without taking away too much of the raised panel lines. Wings and tailplanes were then added followed by the fixed unercarriage. I then added the canopy, which isn't a good fit as it's narrower than the fuselage, this was then masked with Maskol. The cowling was then pushed into place so I could remove it later to fit the engine. The undersides were then painted ModelAir Rotbraun, once dry these were masked with Tamiya tape before ModelAir RLM 63 Hellgrau, ModelAir RLM 62 Grun and Xtracrylic RLM 61 Dunkelbraun were applied using the  masking medium given to me by Tony. Once everything was relatively dry all the masking was removed. Rubbing down and touchups are to follow.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 06:46:08 PM »
Who's been a busy boy.
Decals next?
Kevin

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 02:37:28 PM »
Nice camo.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 02:49:49 PM »
As expected the first decal shattered so the rest were treated to a couple of coats of Klear. This partially worked as some still cracked and one or two wrinkled badly when setting solution was applied, more so than it says they would on the bottle. To remedy this I applied Micro Set and rolled a Q Tip across them a few times, this got rid of most of them. I had to replace one of the wing markings with one from the spares box, strangely these were all bigger than the Pioneer 2 ones even though the kit parts are from the same moulds just a different maker. Consequently the fuselage marking was the same size as the wing one (bonus?), Klear was then appiled to seal them in. One of the tail markings had to be patched using a spare wing marking but this left a straight edge which was corrected using a black Sharpie for the line. I'll remember this for the future. The makers and model decals are oversize so had to be fitted lower down the tail. The kit has no exhaust so one was fashioned from a spare Bf 109 Trop intake, it looks close enough. All that was left was to straighten the bent pitot as best as, cut down slightly the telegraph pole of an aerial mast and fit the guns. With masking removed it was job completed. It won't win any competitions but it's in the collection and has taught me a few more things,

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2023, 05:33:47 PM »
Another one, great.
Faster than me at the moment!
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2023, 02:32:19 PM »
Cracking on there Chris. Good model.
Chris

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2023, 12:11:25 PM »
An interesting and refreshing scheme on a fine model. Well done Chris.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 02:26:31 PM »
Thanks everyone.