Author Topic: Tony Beesting  (Read 1187 times)

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Tony Beesting
« on: March 21, 2023, 02:34:55 PM »
It is with grave sadness that I have to inform members and readers of the website of the passing of one of our members.
Tony Beesting passed away on Monday 20th March in Scarborough Hospital, aged 81.
I am sure he will be missed by all members of the club.
Tony was a fantastic ship modeller and his 1/350 ship models were of the highest quality. He won many competitions and always like to support competitions at shows by entering his models.
He was happy to share his knowledge and skills with others, He liked to pass on newly learned techniques and helped many modellers who struggled to come to terms with etched brass.
Tony was Chairman of the club and will be a hard act to follow. He  had a great fondness for the club and the "Old gits that stuck bits of plastic together" -  a direct quote from the horses mouth,
He appeared a gruff engineer, but had a keen mathematical and analytical mind and liked nothing better that to wrestle with obscure mathematics problems. A down to earth and practical man to boot.
He spent much of his life Rock Climbing and was I believe highly proficient at this art, It seemed to me that he was good at whatever he turned his attention to.
If you talked to Tony, you always came away with his great love of the sea and he could wax lyrical about his time spent on the Speedboats in Bridlington Harbour and also later in Fishing boats.
He spent time sailing out of Grimsby,
He had  many interests and liked to read Private Eye, follow motorcycle racing, and generally all aspects motorcycling, I also think he dabbled in art, archery and fencing.
Our sympathies must go to his family, his wife Dian, sons Colin and Peter, his brother Chris and his grandchildren.
So in his words, "just stick the bits together and slosh some paint on" - It was never that simple and often may have contained a few expletives to boot.

Bye Tony, I will miss you for many reasons.

Dave Smith

Th picture show Tony being presented with the Club's annual Trophy.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Tony Beesting
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »
For the short time that I knew Tony he will be sadly missed. He was a real treasure of the club passing on the years of experience with the modelleing.

So long Tony.

Chris
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 03:02:25 PM »
Hi Zak,

Thankyou for posting such a fitting tribute to Tony.

He will be sadly missed by all at the club, both for his modelling skills but also his friendship, wit, and caring manner towards the club.
Our thoughts and condolences go to Dian, his sons Colin and Peter, his brother Chris and his grandchildren.
It is a very sad time for the club to lose such an inspiring man. He will be a hard act to follow and will always live on in the memories of those who knew him.
Kevin
I hope my next is always better

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 04:19:39 PM »
I am just glad I have been able to call him a friend - he will be missed by all not only for his help and advice but his dry sense of humour  :'( :'( :'(
MSea

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 07:15:06 PM »
A very sad day, going to miss him.
RIP Tony.

Bob c

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 05:37:22 PM »
The funeral is to be held on Wednesday 5th April at 10.30 at the Crematorium at Octon.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 07:20:39 PM »
Hi Zak,
Thanks for letting us all know.
I aim to be there.
Thanks
Kevin
I hope my next is always better

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 02:09:53 PM »
Very, very sad to lose Tony.
He was a quiet gentleman but a force to be reckoned with. One of the best modelers I have ever met and someone I would always go to for advice.
Total Legend.
Rest in peace Mate.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 04:49:08 PM »
A great loss to the Club. I remember the first time I met Tony it was at 'our' Show before I was a member.  I spoke to him about how I'd found some items in Boyes' that could be used as landing lights for aircraft and were a lot cheaper than Little Cars. It was only when I became a member that I found out he made ships and wasn't interested in aircraft. That explained his silence and blank stare, ha ha!! Like others he taught me a lot and I thank him for that.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 01:12:56 PM »
A sad day today as we remembered Tony.
The club was well represented (I think I counted 14 at the Crematorium at Octon, members and wives).
The funeral was well attended by family, past colleagues, family and friends.
A few tears were shed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 01:15:36 PM by zak »