Author Topic: Type 464 Provisioning Lancaster  (Read 2704 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Re: Type 464 Provisioning Lancaster
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2023, 03:57:38 PM »
THe undercarriage has been fitted to the wings whilst they were off to make things easier. Like the fragile parts on the Heinkel He 111 by Airfix Revell tell you to fit the finer parts with the central sprue still attached. After leaving these overnight to set the sprue was removed and the parts delicately cleaned up. There are two further arms to then be fitted underneath these components. This was somewhat fiddly and I found that they didn't quite fit as required being slightly short. As they're up inside the nacelle I can live with this. Once everything had set the wheels were fitted with the centres being Humbrol Satin Black and the tyres Tamiya Rubber Black dry brushed with German Grey. The tailwheel leg has a long arm which goes up to meet the rear elevators spar. I surmise this is for added strength but then why is the tip round and not level?. The tailwheel was painted as per the main ones. Again everything was left to cure before the tailplanes were added. Some sanding and cutting was required to get the starboard one to sit correctly and some minor fettling will need to be done. The wings were then added so I could get a feel of how things were going overall and to check for any cleaning or touch ups to be done before applying Klear for the decals.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2023, 05:09:55 PM »
Getting there.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2023, 09:26:08 AM »
Coming along nicely.
I hope my next is always better

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 01:10:23 PM »
Plodding on Chris - looking good.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2023, 03:13:53 PM »
The undercarriage was fitted and this consists of some fiddly parts and you have to ensure everything sits correctly. With the wings and tailplanes fitted it was time to move on to the cockpit glazing, Initially I tried to mask this using Maskol but as some of the panes are small I opted for the Eduard set, disappointingly some of these are oversize and those for the rear turret main glazing don't have the lower cutouts for the framing. As usual Klear was applied before the decals were applied. It could have been me but some of the wing walkway ones seemed oversize and had to be trimmed. Despite applying Micro Set before applying them some of them still silvered and needed work to get something like. The main culprits were the fuselage codes so I carefully cut around them and the roundel with a sharp Stanley blade. An online builder said he had the same problems with the Airfix kit!! The propellers, upkeep mine and brackets were fitted before Satin varnish was applpied. All the fiddly parts like the aileron actuators and mass balances were then fitted. Bad move. I should have left these off as an actuator disappeared whilst removing the masking only to be followed by a rudder mass balance as I took the plane to be photoed. I had thought about using superglue for these small parts so another lesson learned. Lastly the turrets and fairings were fitted.
Online reviews of the kit say there are two major faults,  the undercarriage is too short and the outer wing dihedral isn't steep enough. Others are, there is no DF loop for the cockpit, the glazing of which is a poor fit, and the instructions have you fit the H2S box (the one on the stick) in the cockpit. Provisioning Lancasters didn't have this fitted. It looks like a Lancaster so that's all that matters to me.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2023, 05:33:02 PM »
Really like the last picture, very atmospheric.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2023, 07:58:07 AM »
Taken from a great angle - makes the photo look even more life like
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2023, 02:30:18 PM »
Yes, I thought at first it was the real thing. Great model Chris.
Chris

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2023, 12:14:30 PM »
Looks pretty good to me. Love the low angle shot.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2023, 02:27:49 PM »
Thanks everyone (again,lol!!!)