Author Topic: Type 464 Provisioning Lancaster  (Read 2711 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Type 464 Provisioning Lancaster
« on: March 13, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »
The night of May 16th/17th this year marks the 80th Anniversary of 617 Squadron's attack on the Mohne, Eder and Sorpe Dams and as I had the Revell kit of the Lancaster B.III 'Dambuster' in my stash, courtesy of our eldest son, I thought it was time to build it. This is the 2009 release with new parts superceding the initial 2007 release and has 224 pieces, some of which aren't used, spread over nine sprues and a clear sprue. The twelve page instruction booklet has 65 build stages and the painting/marking instructions are for 3 aircraft: AJ-G, Wg.Cdr. Gibson's a/c, whose mine exploded short whilst attacking the Mohne, AJ-P, Flt,Sgt. Martin's a/c, whose mine missed the same dam and AJ-F, Flt.Sgt, Brown's a/c, whose mine hit and exploded and cracked the Sorpe Dam but failed to breach it as this was of an earthen construction unlike the steel and concrete of the Mohne and Sorpe. It will be this last a/c that I'm modelling. The squadron code AJ derives from Gibson's father Alexander James' initials.

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Type 464 Provisioning Lancaster
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 02:08:25 PM »
Obviously a start to a bomber fleet with the Wellington.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 03:19:05 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this one progress.
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 04:57:51 PM »
Senior moment in the post it should read that the Mohne and Eder were concrete and steel, doh!!!!!!!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 07:48:26 PM »
Isn't age a wonderful thing......

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 04:18:33 PM »
As usual work started with the cockpit. The control console, navigator's and radio equipment plus those moulded on the fuselage sides were painted with a mix of Vallejo and Tamiya colours. There are decals for the console and radio but that would have meant removing the raised detail so I decided to paint. There are two options for the pilot's seat one with and the other without the head armour, online referencing said the armoured plate could be folded down, hence the two options. I went with it up. There are three holes in the back of the seat for some reason which required filling. The forward fuselage and fittings were painted Vallejo Panzer Grey as a black would be too dark and not show up the black instruments, with the rest Tamiya Cockpit Green. Once everything had set and dried the wing spar was added to the floor, which is the roof of the bomb bay, and the maps from the Airfix Dambuster decal set were added to the navigator's table.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 05:34:48 PM »
Looking nice.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 07:11:43 PM »
Hi Chris,
I think the maps are upside down, or was it flown by an Australian Crew?

Only joking........ :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

It's coming along nicely.

Kevin

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 09:27:28 AM »
Nice progress Chris.
Chris

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 05:04:15 PM »
Looking good Chris
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 05:12:15 PM »
The maps are the right way up if you're sat at the table Kev. Time for a trip to Specsavers methinks, lol!!!
I was going to Glue and Glaze the fuselage windows but decided to use the kit transparencies and use Maskol instead so they were fixed in place before closing up the fuselage. The tail spar made this more difficult than it should have been but I got there, The blanking plates for the removed turrets were then added. The Merlin engines were painted and built ready for putting into the nacelles but the instructions weren't clear as to how the mounts fitted and I got it wrong so they everything match up with the hole for the propellers. As such I took the decision to remove the engines and mounts, once the nacelles are closed up and the flame dampers are fitted you can't see them anyway!! When the wheel well nacelles were fitted to the wings gaps were seen but I was prepared for this as an online article mentioned it so filler was used.
In his 2003 Scale Aircraft Modelling article on adding detail to the Airfix Dambuster Lancaster Paul Lucas mentions that the inside of the bomb bay should have a semi-circular roof, Revell have this as flat whereas Airfix, Hong Kong Models and Wingnut Wings have the original bomb bay roof showing there. I decided to remove the centre section, shown marked on the photo, and fit the other parts accordingly.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 03:44:14 PM »
Another labour of love Chris.
Chris

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 10:03:24 AM »
Coming along nicely Chris.

Bob c

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 01:19:49 PM »
The fuselage has been joined but the seams took a lot of work to get to where I was happy with them, although there is still a 'ghost' seam in one place that refuses to be fettled. As with the Wellington the major parts lent themselves to being painted modular. First up Vallejo Air Dark Earth was applied and once cured it was masked using a combination of Blue Tack sausages and Vallejo Masking fluid, experience has taught me the best way to remove this is by rubbing with a damp finger. When this had cured all the upper surfaces were masked to some degree before Tamiya NATO Black was sprayed on the undersurfaces and fuselage sides. After a couple of days the masking was removed and some touch ups were made.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 02:27:21 PM »
Progress Chris.
Chris