Author Topic: Kyushu Shinden  (Read 2064 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Kyushu Shinden
« on: September 30, 2022, 02:47:08 PM »
The Kyushu J7W1 Shinden 'Magnificent Lightning' was developed for the Japanese Navy from a design theory by Capt. Masachika Tsuruno. The Shinden adopted a 'pusher' type fuselage due to the high efficiency propellor used to meet the Navy's specification for a top speed of 750Km/h. With the engine at the rear the nose was made more aerodynamic and 4 30mm m/gs were fitted. The propellor could be jettisoned by explosive bolts should the pilot need to bail out. The first prototype was completed in July 1945 with the first flight, of 45 minutes, on August 3rd. Two more test flights were made with the fuselage being badly damaged on the last one. The war in the Pacific ended before production of the planned initial batch of a/c could be started.
The kit is the 1970 reboxing of the initial 1966 Tamiya release and has 'new' parts. The 1970 kit is definitely not up to Tamiya's current standards so the 1966 release must have been sparse as there's no cockpit detail, you're supposed to just stick the pilot to the pegs and that's it. The wheel wells are shallow and have no detail either. Due to the kits age the decals (transfers from that age) are showing signs of cracking. A kit of not many parts which will need some detail adding and a little TLC. I started working on the cockpit at PlayDay 10.

cph64

• View Profile
Re: Kyushu Shinden
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 03:27:17 PM »
The cockpit sidewalls were cleaned up, primed and painted with Akan turquoise which I think is a close match for transparent green-blue. The rear bulkhead is a spare from the 1/72 new Airfix release Hurricane and the seat is also Airfix from the spares box. As this would definitely be a tailsitter I filled the nose with Blue Tack and BB pellets. The two fuselage halves were then glued and clamped together but there were still gaps and some misalignment to correct. The engine housing was fixed on without the propeller to ease painting with the wings also being fitted at the same time to try and match everything up. As I stated earlier this is an early Tamiya kit and despite only having 29 parts there are times where it shows it's not up to modern standards. A point in question are the rudders/outriggers which are a very loose fit and will require filler once set, as do the canards.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 12:23:29 PM »
Plenty of extra weight there.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 03:36:11 PM »
The undercarriage and doors were fitted as was the canopy once masked then it was on with a coat of Halford's grey primer. The wing ID stripes were painted using a mix of Vallejo Yellow and Tamiya Orange. Once dry these were masked and the undersides were painted Game Color Ghost Grey and masked with tape and Maskol, for the wavy edges, before a coat of Tamiya I.J.N. Green was applied. The undercarriage bays and door inners were painted using Akan Turquiose. The propellor is Redbrown with metallic Silver weathering. During discussions at the last PlayDay Chris W offered to try and make some decals as the kit ones showed signs of cracking. As this is a 'What if' I sourced some rockets from the spared box, which I believe are ex Airfix Helldiver. These have been painted Vallejo Red and Olive Green with the brackets Ghost Grey.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 05:40:32 PM »
Odd looking beast.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 07:15:06 PM »
Cracking on with this, like Zak said odd looking machine.

Bob c

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 02:43:20 PM »
Just got the decals to print off for you Chris (including the '8' in Japanese script). Should have them for next meeting.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 02:40:48 PM »
Thanks Chris, hopefully I'll be there.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 03:17:49 PM »
Yes definitely an odd looking beast - my kind of plane - hohoho
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 02:31:47 PM »
A mix of kit, stock and the 'kanji' (Japanese for Chinese writing) and Hinomaru that Chris kindly produced for me were applied. The kanji is 'Ha', the number 8, which forms part of my surname in Japanese. After the rockets were positioned a coat of satin varnish was applied followed by removing the cockpit masking and tidying up the frames. I decided not to weather the plane as I'd gone for a worn paintwork look typical of Japanese aircraft.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 03:04:40 PM »
Another weird and wonderful addition to the Nippon airforce.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 03:16:41 PM »
Yes the stranger the better  ;D ;D ;D ;D
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 12:48:40 PM »
A great model Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 03:51:30 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 07:00:32 PM »
Nice work Chris,
What's next from the Hansell House of Oddities?
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better