Author Topic: MItsubishi J2M2 Raiden  (Read 819 times)

cph64

• View Profile
MItsubishi J2M2 Raiden
« on: July 11, 2022, 10:42:28 AM »
The J2M was designed by Jiro Horikoshi, who also designed the A6M Zero, to meet the 14-Shi Specification for a local defence fighter to counter the threat of high-flying bombers, relying on speed, climb performance and armament at the expense of manouverability. The first few J2M2s were delivered to Development Units in December 1942 but severe problems were encountered with the oversized Mitsubishi Kasei engine. Something that was to trouble the a/c throughout it's use. The first batch of serial built J2M2 Model 11 were delivered 381st Kokutai in December 1943. Parallell to the J2M2 work was started on the J2M3 Model 21 and here's where the fun with the kit begins.
Not having built a Sword kit before when I saw this as a remainder in the Don collection sale I thought I'd give it a go. The box says it's a J2M2 Raiden Raiden Type 11 (late version) but closer inspection of the parts and the versions therein show in to be a 'one size fits all' release with alternative parts for the propeller, cockpit bracing and canopy amongst others with no indication in the instructions as to what fits which version. Don had already started (and abandoned) it and unfortunately had superglued one of the cockpit resin pieces in the wrong spot, as well as removing the angled pieces on both. This caused some head scratching later but I worked around it. I built the cockpit tub up but due to the above mentioned problem fitted the the internals seperately starting at the rear bulkhead to give me 'wiggle' room. Also put inplace was the rear engine plate. This is definitely a kit where multiple dry runs are carried out before committing to glue.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: MItsubishi J2M2 Raiden
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 11:49:44 AM »
You will enjoy the challenge - yohoho
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 03:15:49 PM »
The fuselage was joined up working in sections from the front to get the best possible alignment as there are no locating tabs in the kit and the tailplanes were added. The radio, from spares, and the rear bracing were added but the latter had to be readjusted when trial fitting the canopy parts. The wings had been closed up but again some sanding was required to an internal bulkhead and the wheel wells to get the halves together. The box art and instructions show the a/c armed with only 2 cannon so the outer bulges were removed and filed smooth. Next up was the combing infront of the cockpit and this sat too narrow, PPP has been used to try and remove the step without losing too much detail. Other resin parts missing, apart from the radio were the pilot's seat and the gunsight. I found a seat in the spares box, albeit the wrong shape, but something is better than nothing and whilst coating the canopies in Klear found a gunsight at the end of the sprue so this was painted up. The armoured glass infront of the pilot is shown at the end of the bars in the instructions but online references show it on top so that's where I positioned it. The gunsight should touch this glass but on fitting it where the instructions said it didn't and was too high preventing the canopy from fitting correctly so I repositioned it on the cockpit lip and it fit as it should. The rear canopy glasses had been previously fitted using Glue and Glaze.
As I mentioned earlier there is no indication of which parts to use for this version of the J2M2 and the main canopy is no exception. There are two almost identical ones but the photos show how one fits and the other doesn't.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 04:12:25 PM »
Definitely looks like a challenge there Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 01:01:41 PM »
After masking the canopy with Tamiya tape and fitting the undercarriage legs it was time for priming and painting. The underside was painted with Vallejo Light Grey and the upper surfaces Tamiya IJN Green. I should have painted the yellow ID markings first so that created some work, masking etc. The anti-dazzle panel was painted using a mix of Vallejo Black and a Citadel Blue to try and recreate the blue-black used by the Japanese. This was followed by a coat of Klear and then decalling. The decals came off the backing sheet easily but had a tendancy to fold which meant my initial marking choice didn't happen ####!!, all applied with Micro Set and Sol. The fuselage Hinomaru wouldn't settle on one side without creasing so cuts were made with a sharp scalpel and more solution applied. All the other fiddly bits were then applied, u/c doors, cannons, which had to be straighten and one shortened, radio mast and finally the pitot tube. I had to shorten the front bank of engine cylinders as they wouldn't fit through the front of the cowling even though the instructions show that's the way to fit them along the propellor.
This is definitely a 6ft rule model but I've resigned myself to the fact that it became a teaching model. A kit not for the faint hearted but a great learning curve.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 03:10:05 PM »
Looks pretty good Chris.
Chris

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 09:07:43 AM »
6ft or 1ft it looks good to me Chris