Author Topic: Horten Go 229  (Read 1342 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Horten Go 229
« on: December 12, 2022, 01:08:22 PM »
Various magazines, on-line articles and documentaries refer to this aircraft as 'Hitler's Stealth Aircraft' which is total rubbish. Given the a/c has a small frontal area and wooden wings it is the culmination of the Horten brothers work dating back to 1937 on flying wing gliders and latterly with help from Gotha and is an adaption of a request from Goring for a 1000x1000x1000 bomber, downsized to create a heavy fighter. The first prototype flew on February 28th 1944 and the second flew on February 2nd 1945. Due to the fatal crash of one of the prototypes Gotha decided to test the next three prototypes without additional equipment or armament after receiving an order for series production. After the war the fuselage centre section and wings of the V3 were worked on under the Americans with it eventually being taken to America where in now resides in the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Centre, Chantilly, VA.
This the Revell 2006 reboxing of their original 1994 kit updated with new decals. The parts are crisply moulded with fine panel lines although some push-out pin points and ejector tabs are to be found, Various parts for the undercarriage and cockpit framing require careful removal from the sprues due their thinness. It's been in the stash so long that I'd forgotten I'd primed the parts previously. When assembling the cockpit I left the sides and floor unpainted so the framework would fit better, also leaving off the control console and bracing. Everything in the cockpit was painted Tamiya RLM 66 with the ejector seat moulded on belt detail being Citadel Lothern Blue with Vallejo Metallic Silver buckles. All the undercarriage parts, internal frame works, both halves of the fuselage interior and wing ends were painted Humbrol RLM 02 as there will be a lot visible once built.

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Horten Go 229
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 01:21:08 PM »
The Horton is a very interesting. I think this was the first flying wing type was it not Chris?
Chris

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 01:39:51 PM »
Another oddity!
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 03:43:11 PM »
Hi Chris this is definitely the first with jet engines, their previous aircraft being either gliders or propeller driven.
Two fuzzy photos showing the 30mm cannons assembled and fitted and the second the cockpit assembled minus the seat. The decal for the instrument panel was stubborn to release from the backing paper. What few instruments are included have been painted also. The engine intakes have been assembled and holes drilled in the front of the cones with the exhaust cones also being assembled and fitted.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 08:17:47 PM »
Hi Chris,
Coming along nicely. Nice detail in the cockpit.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 03:01:35 PM »
The body was closed up and the nose attached followed by the wings and the cockpit and wheel wells plus cannon bays being masked ready for painting. First off was a coat of RLM 84 Graublau on the wings followed by RLM 76 Lichtblau v1 (Sky) for the centre body section and v2 for the nose and tail sections. All doors were painted v1 seperately. There is some debate about which is v1 and which is v2 but I've gone with the general  consensus ad don't get me started on RLM 84! The upper surfaces were first painted RLM 81 Braunviolett followed by RLM 82 Dunklegrun (another possible misnumbering) with a mottle of RLM 80 Olivgrun to break up the finish. Cockpit glazing was masked and painted RLM 81 at the same time. The undercarriage was then fitted with that of the nose wheel being almost 'geodetic' as the parts held each other in place. I think a beginner could struggle here.
Following a coat of Klear the decals were applied using the kit decals for everything apart from the 'clogs' of II/ZG26 which came from the Matchbox Me 410 I'd recently converted. The kit decals were stubborn to release from the backing paper and needed some time in hot water to get them to release. Any silvering was treated by cutting and further applications of Micro Set. The WWI alternative lozenge used underneatht is from a Formacal sheet I bought some time ago with a view to using in such a situation as this, I'd first drawn around the wings on the sheet before cutting out and then trimmed once in place. They went on easily and the RLM 84 I'd applied as a back up didn't show through as the white lozenge was just that and not the backing paper.
The model was then sprayed with satin Varnish. The front glazing was awkward to get to sit properly but when it came to the main glazing, disaster!!! The masking tape had allowed varnish underneath so a few sessions were required of gentle scaping and the use of sanding blocks and pads. Once satisfied a coat of Klear brought this back to something like, with the frame touched up with RLM 81. Alclad jet exhaust followed by a touch of grey and white had been used for the exhaust marks, Flory Dark Dirt wash was then applied and removed as required after which the small items such as pitot, muzzle brakes and aerial were then fitted.
A great kit of an unusual aircraft but as I said I think a beginner would struggle in places and the biggest fault is the body is see-through from thr rear jet exhausts. I'd be interested to see how Zoukai Moura handled this on their kits.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 12:48:09 PM »
Excellent; especially the undersides; I presume this was all decals?
Chris

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 02:03:28 PM »
If he hand painted it - WOW
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 09:12:35 AM »
Yes Chris it was decals, sadly I'm not that good at painting but if you remember I managed a 'Swedish style' splinter camouflage on my Ae 607 build.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 01:33:46 PM »
Yes Chris it was decals, sadly I'm not that good at painting but if you remember I managed a 'Swedish style' splinter camouflage on my Ae 607 build.
Memory's going. I don't remember.
Chris