Author Topic: BV 141 Versuchstrager fur P.163  (Read 1028 times)

cph64

• View Profile
BV 141 Versuchstrager fur P.163
« on: November 05, 2022, 12:46:26 PM »
From early 1942 Chief Designer Richard Vogt encouraged his team at Blohm und Voss to come up with solutions to aeronautical problems that defied convention. One such solution was the P.163, which rather than using aluminium was to have been built from steel. The unusual design was to have a crew of four housed in two wingtip nacelles, bomb load was to be 2000kg and armament seven MG151/20, four of which gave excellent rearward defence and one housed in a fully rotating turret. Two versions were planned, the P.163.01 powered by a Daimler Benz DB613 inline engine and the .02 powered by a BMW 803 radial. To test the viability of the design a BV 141 had another fuselage nacelle attached to the port wing and one statement records that the aircraft was controlled from it. No photographs exist of the aircraft but there are two composites online one of which is an altered image using the BV 141 V9 and this is the one I based my model build on. So on to the model....
I built the Airfix kit of the BV 141 when it was first released in 1971 and it shows, heavy enamel paint lines, no sanding, glue runs etc. I obtained another kit from Wizzle as once I'd seen an image of the adapted BV 141 I had it at the back of my mind to build one using my original as a start point. Much scraping of paint and transfers, over several sessions, was followed by repeated sanding and undercoats. The second nacelle was built after removing the wing roots with the tab holes blanked off with plastic card and smoothed over with filler. Once built the nacelle was attached to the wing, which had had it's tip removed and a section of plastic card attached using superglue gel and Platic Weld to get as stronger bond as possible.

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: BV 141 Versuchstrager fur P.163
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 01:28:09 PM »
A strange beast.
Chris

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 02:15:35 PM »
NO Chris its a very strange beast - just my type of plane - hohhoho
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 05:25:53 PM »
Hi Chris,
It will be nice to see this one progress from the 'Hansell Hanger'
Watching with interest.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 10:11:13 AM »
Glazing was added to the new nacelle and this, like the older one, only fit where it touched. Some sanding and cutting followed but unfortunately this is the worst part of the kit with filler being used in places. Masking followed but as the nose is a multitude of panels I painted this freehand later and as per the rest went round with a cocktail stick to tidy things up. The bottom was painted Humbrol RLM 65 with the upper surfaces Xtracrylic RLM 71 followed by RLM 70, also used on the spinner and propellers. Wheel wells, u/c legs and the interior are Humbrol RLM 02. A coat of Klear was applied follwed by markings from stock as the 51 year old kit transfers were not up to it. For the large crosses underneath I used some from a He 111 set but oddly one of these reacted badly to the Klear and despite using Set and Sol I couldn't get a smooth finish. Once everything was in place and the main paintwork tidied up Humbrol Satin varnish was applied.
With the Airfix kit being the only one available, the Bilek one uses Airfix moulds, then your options are very limited for this kit. I found the framework on the glazing from a later re-issue to be indistinct and missing in places. If you want one in your collection then be prepared for some extra work. But saying that it allowed me do some 'proper modelling' and create as MSea says "a very strange beast".

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 10:51:28 AM »
Another odd one for the collection!
Looks great.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 02:16:21 PM »
You made a great job of that model Chris.
Chris

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 02:24:14 PM »
It still looks very very strange - I love it - hohhoho
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 12:49:42 PM »
Thanks everyone, it was and 'interesting' build!!