Author Topic: Fw 189C/V-6  (Read 1491 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Fw 189C/V-6
« on: May 26, 2022, 04:53:54 PM »
Designed to a RLM specification for a ground attack aircraft the C/V6 was adapted from the existing Fw 189 tactical reconnaissance aircraft using the original V1 prototype. The fuselage nacelle was replaced by a heavily armoured one housing a pilot and rear gunner. Following initial flight tests it was clear it was underpowered and the view from the rear cockpit was poor and the machine eventually crashed because of the restricted view from the cockpit. Redesigned with a different shaped nacelle and better laid out cockpit, more powerful engines and variable pitch propellers the type still lost out to the Henschel Hs 129 but remained on standby in case the latter didn't reach the production stage,
This is the 2021 Special Hobby re-boxing of the MPM kit with new decals and photo etch. Moulded in soft grey plastic, which caused me problems later on in the build, the kit has few locating tabs, ejector pins in places and soft panel lines and one clear part for the pilot. I initially started this at Play Day 7 but it then went on the back burner. The cockpit tub has adequate detail but as it won't be seen I only put the seats in also leaving out the m/g as I intend to 'upgrade' the model to as if it were in production. The nacelle sides have minimal locating ledges for the tub and if I was to build another I'd leave it out altogether as you have to cut a slot in the wing centre section with the size given in the instructions being too small.
The windows for the rear gunner are moulded closed so they have to be opened up and there is no rear window so I used artistic license and created one.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fw 189C/V-6
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 08:06:16 PM »
This will be interesting.
I have the GWH kit of the Fw-189A2 in 1/48 to do.
Always liked the armoured cockpit version, something strangely aggressive and cramped about the centre console.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 04:04:04 PM »
Yes Kev some how it is strangely alluring. One website says the initial version of the nacelle had a crew of three!!! And that one also had a 'lobster tail' rear gun turret.
As the wing trailing edges were thick I sanded them only to find out that once glued there were still a gaps which had to be filled. The wings and the central part of the body/nacelle were then joined together and that was where the real problem arose. As I'd mentioned before the plastic was soft so when trying to bring the body and wings together it cracked in 3 places. Cue lots of nautical language!!! After several attempts with glue/superglue/plastic weld/filler I got things back to somewhere near. At one point I was ready to skip the 'shelf of shame' stage and go straight to 'in the bin' but being a Yorkshireman..... The tail booms were then fitted, along with the engine fronts, and again there were fit issues (me and the model!!) which showed up more when the tailplane was fitted and it was seen to not line up with the main wings. I'd cleaned up all the mating surfaces so can only assume that the cracking etc threw everything out. The next step took some time to work out also. I wanted to fit some underwing ordnance and having some spare bombs and racks from an Airfix Bv 141 kit I decided to fit those, there are however, no reference points on the wings so I had to go through several references to get them in 'roughly' the right place.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 02:33:48 PM »
Looking good Chris. Lots of work going into this one.
Chris

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 04:38:30 PM »
Coming along, lots of work there.
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 09:30:30 AM »
Lots more filling, sanding, filing etc done to get it somewhere near. The undercarriage has been fitted and again I don't know if it was me or not but I found that it was handed as initially a dry fit showed the legs to splay out. The ledge inside the nacelle was on a slope and I double checked the instructions to see if I'd built it wrong, I hadn't. Fitting them the 'right way around' also meant that the retraction struts fitted correctly.
As this is a 'What If' I've upgraded the front weaponry to 2 x 50mm cannon from Albion Alloy tubing and drilled holes for the 13mm mgs. Time for some primer. This showed some areas tht still require work but it looks a lot better than the bare plastic and filler etc.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 11:14:14 AM »
If its "What if" you can do what you want.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 01:17:50 PM »
Yes Chris - join me and do as you wish
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 02:54:11 PM »
I am so it's more 'smoke and mirrors'!!! Lifecolour RLM 81 Braunviolett was the first colour applied to the upper surface but being an old jar this wouldn't spray well so I changed to Vallejo RLM 81 after which Xtracrylic RLM 82 Dunkelgrun was sprayed freehand. This was followed by a stippling of Humbrol RLM 75 Grauviolett then patches of Tamiya Nato Black, aka RLM 22 Schwarz, which was also used for underneath. I'd used various photos from Osprey's Luftwaffe Schlachtgruppen book for inspiration and reference. The cockpit glazing was then added masked and painted as were the main undercarriage wheels.
The 3.7cm Flak 18 (BK 3.7) which will go underneath and is from the original Frog release of the Ju 87G via the spares box was cleaned up then sprayed Humbrol RLM 65 Lichtblau and Xtractylic RLM 70 Schwarzgrun, to blend this in the Schwarzmannen have painted on lines of RLM 22 and areas of RLM 81. Once made up the propellers and spinners were painted RLM 70. The spinners have the vanes typical of Argus engines and require delicate removal from the sprues and cleaning up. I wish companys would put the attachment points below the spinner and not in the vanes it would make life easier and preserve detail.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 04:01:52 PM »
Looking good Chris. Yes Martin knows how to do things his way!
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 02:48:43 PM »
I know, it gives us SO MUCH leeway, lol!!!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 03:05:08 PM »
Decalling consisted of a mix of kit and spares, then it was time for all the small bits. The Revi gunsight is clear resin and SMALL, it took two attempts to get it to sit correctly, the boarding step at the rear is PE so was fixed using CA. The aerial mast is also PE but as it's one dimensional I went with the kit plastic one instead. There is no pitot tube in the kit so one had to be sourced from spares. Special Hobby appear to have based the rearward armament on the early prototype as the C/V6 had a twin mounting so holes were drilled, a piece of tissue placed over to represent the leather shroud and the two MG barrels came from the spares box. Weathering was done with Flory washes before the small windows were filled with Glue and Glaze.
Not a kt for the beginner and me either at times!!! Whilst building it I read a build for Special Hobby's Boston which made the comment about repeat dry fittingtheir parts before committing to glue and that procedure still caught me out at times. Would I build another one? Yes. Knowing what I know now I could make a better job of the 2nd one and if you want one these it's the only game in town at the moment.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 04:16:16 PM »
Very nice Chris. The photos are well done.
Chris

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 05:33:54 PM »
Please come and cut my grass, very good.