Author Topic: MiG 29UB  (Read 1226 times)

cph64

• View Profile
MiG 29UB
« on: September 03, 2022, 04:44:45 PM »
Whilst wondering what to build next I decided it was time to use the Akan set of paints I bought a while back for the MiG 29UB in my stash. It's the 1990 Revell reboxing of their 1988 release of the original ACE Model Kits plane from the same year. I don't know if this is the same ACE Models who now make AFV kits. The kit has the usual instruction booklet with only Revell brand paints shown. As we know their colours and 'mixes' are a nightmare, as an example whilst in Hobby Craft the other day looking for a match for RLM 82 I found THREE different numbered pots of Dunklegrun!! There are 3 parts runners moulded in grey plastic and a one piece clear canopy. The decals offer the choice of either a Russian or Yugoslav a/c but as this will be part of my 'Places wot I have been to' collection it will be finished in Qazaq (new spelling) colours using the Linden Hill decals I have in stock. Online reviews say the front of the wing where it joins the fuselage is incorrect and the nose wheel leg is too short. The former means a lot of work so I'll live with it, the latter 'should be' easy to correct.

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: MiG 29UB
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 02:03:49 PM »
Should be good. Look forward to seeing it.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 04:56:14 PM »
The cockpit tub is very basic with seats that look nothing like K 36s, but the possible replacements I have are too big so it's a case of add straps from foil and that's it. There are no side consoles just two instrument panels with raised details with decals for these and the one on the combing but I only used the latter painting the first two. I also added the missing combing for the rear panel. Unlike other MiGs the 29 interior was painted light grey not the usual turquoise so Vallejo Light Aircraft Grey was used. The fuselage is split horizontally allowing Blue Tack and BB pellets to be added in the nose and forward wing area before joining and cleaning up the seams.
The intakes have a large flap which is in the down position when the engine isn't running meaning I didn't have to fit the fan blades or worry about the internal seam. The wings were fitted next requiring some filler on the bottom fuselage joint, likewise on the stabilators. There are two versions of tail fin in the kit so following the instructions is a must to get the right ones. Again filler was required at the joint with the build of the Airfix MiG 29 in SAMI, Oct 2011, and the plans in Fine Scale Modeller from July 1989 being used to get the correct sit. The FSM article also stated that the fin tips were the wrong shape so these have been altered accordingly.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 01:39:34 PM »
So far so good.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 01:41:17 PM »
With all the major parts together it was time for masking and a coat of primer and a check for any thing that needed touching up. The fin tips and wing roots were then painted Akan Radome Transparent Grey after which they were masked in preperation for the main colours. The Linden Hill decals state the underneath is painted FS35526, as there is no blue in the Akan set I have an online search found that RLM 65 is a close match so that was used. The decal sheet then calls for Light Grey/Green above which is the Light Grey in the Akan set and Dark Grey/Green which is the Grey/Green from the set. Any areas requiring touching up were attended to then the area in front of the cockpit was masked and painted Vallejo Black as were the front of the tail fin tips. I'd hand painted the upper areas as the Akan paint went gritty, like Humbrol, clogging my airbrush even when thinned, I put this down to the length of time the paint and model have been in my stash. I found that I could eradicate any ridges formed by masking by using a slightly damp Q tip rubbed across the ridge.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »
Be flying soon Chris
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 01:33:30 PM »
Finished for the next meeting?
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 01:40:50 PM »
Probably Chris.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 02:20:00 PM »
For Radome Transparent read Radio Transparent, another senior moment, doh!!! After checking photos the di-electrics on the wings and tails were corrected and it was time for a coat of Klear before the decals. The Linden Hill Kazakh main markings come in two parts so care is needed to sit them correctly, I also used that set for the Bort numbers. I used the kit stencils and they behaved the exact opposite of the Linden Hill ones having a thick carrier that wouldn't blend in completely even after two coats of Micro Sol. Some of them are pale blue and don't show up very well on the paintwork there is also a discrepancy between the actual numbe of some decals and the call out on the instruction sheet. Once I'd got to a point where I was happy with what I'd applied then a coat of satin varnish was applied, followed by fitting the small bits that could have come off through handling and removing the cockpit masking. The nose aerial and pitot are butt joints so CA was used to fit these. There are some omissions in the kit namely the periscope for the rear cockpit which I made from scrap plastic and the landing lights which came from clear sprue. There is also no stone guard for the front wheels, but I can say that fell off on a runway.
Missiles are supplied with the kit but only the Aphids are relevant and with all the pylons being totally the wrong shape I'd decided not to fit anything under the wings and the holes had been filled prior to painting.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 11:23:12 AM »
Looks very nice Chris.
Chris

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 03:54:48 PM »
Lovely looking model.

Bob c