Author Topic: Book Review - Eagle Day - The Battle of Britain  (Read 1116 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Book Review - Eagle Day - The Battle of Britain
« on: May 02, 2022, 10:33:22 AM »
First published in 1966 this is the 2021 reprint and uses a multitude of published sources and the eye witness accounts of 434 men and women, all of whom are listed in the final appendix.
Dedicated to the 'Unknown Pilot' it covers the Battle from Aug 6/7th, when Goring called the top Commanders to Karinhall to tell them of the planned invasion of Britain and how the Luftwaffe must first gain mastery of the air, through the attacks on airfields and radar stations, to the fateful shift in policy and the decision to start bombing London, with the last chapter cover the period from September and after. There then follows an appendix on 'Facts about the Battle of Britain' depicting the actual time span, total strengths, casualties etc.
Alongside the everyday thoughts, events and discussions involving those involved Page 238 illustrates some of the rumours circulating at the time when invasion was feared: 'In Folkestone people numbered Dover's fate in hours as the Germans had completed a cross-channel tunnel', 'Worthing's citizens knew why no bombs fell there - Goebbels's mother lived there' - (she didn't). 'Croyden had the buzz that Goring was striking at food supplies: 30milkmen had been machine gunned in the streets' - (they hadn't).
Pros: an interesting book giving a lot of insights into what those involved thought and said.
         a full list of the Order of Battle for both sides.
Cons: spelling and grammar mistakes i.e. Bf 109s being repeatedly referred to as 'logs' (or was that an anachronism?)
The cover shows two Spifires both with the codes QJ-K. This will be for 92 Sqdn based at Tangmere then Biggin Hill as 616 Sqdn was at Leconfield till August 19th before moving to Kenley (see my BoB Spitfire builds re QJ being used by two Squadrons at the same time). The Hurricane is from 605 Sqdn which fought in the closing stages of the Battle.

If anyone would like to borrow this book I can bring it to the next Meeting.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Book Review - Eagle Day - The Battle of Britain
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 06:38:50 PM »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the synopsis on the book. Don't need to borrow it at the moment, but I know where the reference is if I need it.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better