Author Topic: Focke-Achgelis Fa 225  (Read 1139 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Focke-Achgelis Fa 225
« on: October 10, 2023, 03:50:01 PM »
I thought I'd dig this one out of the stash to reduce Chris W's monopoly on rotor craft.
This is the AMP kit of the Fa 225 an experimental single-seat rotary wing glider of which only one example was built. In the first half of the Second World War the DFS 230 glider was used primarily to land troops and supplies, but was found to be of limited capabillity as it needed a large landing area. The Fa 225 was conceived to marry the rotor from a Fa 223 'Drache' helicopter with the fuselage of a DFS 230B, allowing the glider to land in 18 metres or less, with it's first flight being in 1943 towed behind a Ju 52/3m. Series production was not proceeded with due to the relatively slow aero-towing speed of 120 mph and changes in operartional doctrine.
The kit is moulded in grey plastic and comes sealed in a bag which also has the instructions, clear parts, a small etched fret, the decals and the bonus of masks for the clear parts. As this was an experimental craft the model doesn't have the central forward and rear facing bench seats of the DFS 230B, but I'll probably put something in there as the interior is visible through the canopy. I can then turn this into a 'What If' perhaps?

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Focke-Achgelis Fa 225
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 06:48:08 PM »
Looks weird and strange - I like it
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 07:17:55 PM »
Unusual Project Chris,
Look forward to seeing this one take off.
Kevin
I hope my next is always better

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 02:13:14 PM »
I look forward to this one Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 03:43:44 PM »
As this was only a prototype there's no internal detail apart from the console, rudder pedals, joystick and pilot seat. So lots of room for 'improvement'. Firstly the seat is too low and in the wrong place if positioned as per the instructions so it was moved back and raised. With such a large canopy further detail was required so I used the bench seat from a SdKfz 251 halftrack from spares adding backrests also from spare parts. Not a 100% accurate if you look closely at the photo of Fallschirmjager in a DFS 230 glider but close enough. The stores further back are from a resin offcut.

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 08:49:18 PM »
Looks a bit cramped, no emergency exit.
Interesting subject.

Bob c

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 04:00:19 PM »
The interior was fitted to the right side of the fuselage along with the tubular framework behind the pilot's seat, which was oversize so was cut to fit. The fuselage was then closed up and the seams addressed. The main canopy and side windows were added next, then masked, followed by the tailpanes and rudder. The rotor head and framework bear a passing resemblance to the real thing as the gear housing and adjacent struts don't allow for this to overhang the port side and there are no defeinite locating points for anything. Whilst this was curing I assembled the rotor head and blades. The undercarriage and skid were added next, the locating points for this are there but faint and it's best to do one side at a time and let this dry fully before moving to the other side as the parts are flimsy. The bracing struts for the tailwheel aren't in the kit so a single was added from Evergreen strip. After a coat of primer an overall coat of Vallejo Nato Black was applied and once dry the upper surface camoflague and stripes were added using Xtracrylic RLM70 Scwarzgrun and Humbrol RLM75 Grauviolett. The rotors were painted black before assembly with the rotor head being Vallejo Silver. A metal pin was added to the head so I could easily remove it for storage and transportation. Once dry a coat of Klear was applied for the four kit decals and the two letters from spares. With all the masking removed a Flory Wash of Dark Dirt followed by Revell Brown weathering powder were applied to the lower surfaces.
Due to the unclear instructions and fiddly parts this is not a kit I'd recommend for a beginner, but it's very good for getting you thinking about how to solve problems.
PS I know the second picture isn't very clear.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 02:04:55 PM »
A great and unusual model Chris. It certainly looked cramped for the guys inside.
Chris

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 05:47:35 PM »
Looks good Chris.

Bob c