Author Topic: Bulgarian Ju 87D-5  (Read 1249 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Bulgarian Ju 87D-5
« on: February 21, 2022, 06:19:20 PM »
This is the 2010 Revell boxing of the Junkers Ju 87G/D with the moulds dating back to 1975 and they show it. Raised panel lines, plenty of flash, mould 'leaks' and a plethora of ejector pin marks. The instructions say the kit is a D-3 but the extended wing tips show it is a D-5. Trawling through the Hannants Newsletter one morning I came across a set of decals, by Kora, for Bulgarian Ju 87s and one of those caught my eye as something different so I sent off for them (as well as a few other things, lol!!!!). I already had some Bulgarian markings in my stash but these were too small coming from the Heller Bf 108. The a/c in question is White 46 of the 1, Orliak, 2. Sturmovy at Polk Yugoslavia in September 1944. Camouflage is standard RLM 65 lower and RLM 70/71 upper but what makes this interesting is the (believed) RLM 76 mottling on the upper surfaces. Orliak is Bulgarian for Eagle and Sturmovy means Storms hence the decal set title 'Bulgarian Eagles'.
The parts for the cockpit are basic and as I'll use the kit one piece canopy which is as thick as Sid Little's glasses and nothing much will be seen so I'm not going to spend too much time detailing in there. The seat belts are faintly moulded on and there is a decal for the instruments and that's your lot re details. The engine makes up into a passable Jumo 211, which I've painted but will probably not have the bay opened up. The wing tips needed a lot of work, filling and sanding to get something like, as did the body and wing joints. I'll leave the propeller and landing gear off to make painting easier.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bulgarian Ju 87D-5
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 06:28:48 PM »
Hi Chris,
Another off the beaten track colour scheme with this one.
Looks like you've made some good progress already, are you trying to catch up with Zak?
Will watch with interest.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 01:20:53 PM »
Good progress, another interesting subject.

Bob c

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 03:07:27 PM »
I don't think I'll ever be able to match Zak's output, no matter how hard I try!!!
Joints tidied up before and after a coat of grey primer was applied then Vallejo Airmodel White for the Theatre Identification markings.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 08:03:29 AM »
Coming along.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 02:58:25 PM »
A nice start Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 04:27:58 PM »
The Theatre ID markings were masked as was the canopy with a tape and liquid for the awkward bits. Looking at my references the rear gunners area is neither fish nor fowl if I've interpreted the frame correctly so I went with what it gave, having to use some filler around the base as it wouldn't sit correctly. RLM 65 was then sprayed on the undersides and when dry this was masked and RLM 71 followed by masking and RLM 70 were applied to the upper surfaces. Whilst everything was drying I made up and painted the undercarriage and cleaned up the bombs. The smaller ones had large ejector pin marks so took some work. Once painted the kit stripes were applied to the bombs but none of mine met so the gap was positioned where it wouldn't be seen. Before coating with Klear for the decals I sprayed the RLM 76 hash/mottle. This took two attempts as I wasn't happy with the tightnes of the first pass. The Kora decals settled down well with minmum opacity and I used some of the kit stencils for under the wings. Everything was then sealed in with Satin acrylic varnish before a light weathering with various Flory shades. The pitot tube and steps were fitted and the 20mm cannon used in the D-5 wings were made from the broken shafts of 1/76 pick axes. Once the canopy masking was removed any touch ups to the frame were completed.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 05:47:23 PM »
It looks ready for take off.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 02:54:09 PM »
A very nice model Chris.