Author Topic: Another Spitfire Mk.Ia  (Read 1228 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Another Spitfire Mk.Ia
« on: January 21, 2022, 04:17:07 PM »
This is the kit I bought from the Charity shop for £2.50 which was a bargain apart from two things missing which weren't mentioned on the label, one is minor, the seat, no problem I cobbled one up from spares, the other MEGA no instructions. Luckily I had a set from my first build of this kit for the 'Attack on RAF Driffield' aircraft. I thought I'd posted about this kit before so wouldn't have to go into detail but found I must have built this and the rest of the a/cs before I started posting on the Forum, so here's a quick resume. Moulded in the usual blue/grey plastic with only one marking option and painting instructions on the back of the box. I built up the interior and painted it using Humbrol Cockpit Green and the details were picked out with Vallejo colours. There is a decal for the instrument panel. When I came to fit the two halves of the fuselage together I had a gap that took a lot of fettling by cutting, sanding and filling. It was only after this phase that I realised I'd put the seat and console etc the wrong side of a bearer and so it was too far forward forcing the fuselage halves apart!!! If you build this kit look closely at the inset drawing it shows the correct position for some reason (senility?) I'd misread it.

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Another Spitfire Mk.Ia
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 04:21:43 PM »
A nice start Chris. Was the cheap price because of the lack of instructions? Lucky you kept some from a previous build.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 04:27:39 PM »
I don't know Chris could be. I always keep the instruction sheets, I have some going back to the 1960s (showing my age there, lol!!!).

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 06:58:47 PM »
Hi Chris,
As a tip, if I am thinking of buying something new or old, I check out 'Scalemates', just enter the kit name and scale and you get a history of the kit, first issue, new decals, new box, changed parts, etc.
But you can also download the instructions to see what's involved, decal options, etc. If you want you can print them off, very easily.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 07:03:18 AM »
Hi Chris,
As a tip, if I am thinking of buying something new or old, I check out 'Scalemates', just enter the kit name and scale and you get a history of the kit, first issue, new decals, new box, changed parts, etc.
But you can also download the instructions to see what's involved, decal options, etc. If you want you can print them off, very easily.
Bigkev
That's what I usually do too.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 05:27:24 PM »
Looking good Chris

Bob c

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 02:26:25 PM »
Hi Chris,
Bigkev
Useful. I didn't know that.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 03:59:02 PM »
As discussed at Play Day 6 I was aware of this option at Scalemates but thanks Kev none the less.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 03:39:22 PM »
After rectifying the mistake with the fuselage interior the wings and tailplanes were fitted. A good feature of this kit is that the 'wheels-up' option can be used to mask the bays when painting the undersides using Vallejo Light Blue. As on the previous build I thought this a bit too bright but used it again for conformity and hoped that weathering would tone it down. After masking the uppersurfaces were painted using Humbrol Dark Brown from a dropper, the idea of which I like. Once dry the camouflague pattern was masked and I attempted to spray Model Air Dark Green. I say attempted as despite thinning it spattered and eventually blogged up the airbrush. After an hours cleaning, including using my ultrasonic bath and scraping the nozzle I got back to a usuable state.
As I wanted markings for another 616 Sqdn a/c as part of my RAF Driffield BoB display I spent a lot of time on the net searching for relevant markings. This isn't helped by the fact that 616's code QJ were also issued for some reason to 92 Sqdn at the start of hostilities in 1939 so a lot of images found were of 92 Sqdn aircraft and checking serial numbers it seems that a number of 616 Sqdn websites are actually showing photos of 92 Sqdn a/c. Eventually I found two options, QJ-W, N3093, flown by Keith Woodcock, but unfortunately this had his personal markings 'The Virgin' on the nose so that was shelved. I then found photos and images of QJ-R, K9817, originally in the Black/White undersurfaces when based at North Weald so a little artistic license was used to bring it up to August 1940. A lot of artistic license followed as this aircraft undershot and crashed during a night landing on August 7th 1940, a week before the attack on Driffield, whilst being flown by Sgt. Tommy Westmoreland. Records show it went away for repair and was issued to another Sqdn. Oh well!!!
I've included a photo of QJ-G alongside QJ-R to show the difference in paint brands but as the two a/c came from different factories it could be ok?

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 05:39:19 PM »
Full squadron at Driffield soon?
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 02:07:40 PM »
Looking good Chris.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 02:14:49 PM »
Hi Chris,
Trying to match wartime production....?
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 02:41:52 PM »
No Kevin he is trying to make as many as Spitfire Bill - hohohho - they look good Chris
MSea

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 06:27:58 PM »
Looks good Chris.

Bob c

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 04:01:57 PM »
Thanks everyone