Author Topic: Silbervogel  (Read 1935 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Silbervogel
« on: December 31, 2021, 11:22:01 AM »
Designed in the 1930s by Eugen Sanger and Irene Bredt using the lifting body principle the idea was presented to the RLM (Reichsluftfahrtministerium) in December 1941 as a 900 page document which they turned down due to the complex nature of the craft. The vehicle was to be launched on a 2 mile long rail track on a powered sled and once airborne the crafts own rocket motors would take over, It was calculated that by doing a series of sub-orbital hops from an altitude of 90 miles at a speed of approximately 13,500mph the vehicle could reach America, drop it's payload of up to 4000kg (see my German Atomic Weapons build) and then continue on to the Japanese held Pacific region. The proposal was resubmitted in September 1944 but never got beyond mockup tests. Postwar analysis of the proposal showed it was flawed and the craft would have burnt up on re-entry without augmenting the heat shield which would have reduced the payload.
So what's in the kit from AMP? 58 pieces of softish grey plastic, 2 of which form the main body, 1 clear upper nose section, a decal sheet offering one option, we'll see about that!!, masks for the cockpit glazing and main wheels and surprisingly, as you won't see much in the cockpit, a set of 3D decals for the controls!! The one glaring difference in the kit is that the cockpit is for two pilots not the original one. As it's a 'What if' it's not a problem as I can say it's a later production model.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Silbervogel
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 11:43:14 AM »
The rivet counters will still say you are wrong Chris, but WE KNOW what to say to them - hohohohoho. Will enjoy watching this one progress
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 12:13:37 PM »
Weird and wonderful.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 12:20:20 PM »
Weird and wonderful.
I thought it was just normal - so it must be me then - hohohhoho
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 03:01:05 PM »
Interesting. I never knew about this one.
Chris

Haddock

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:43:11 PM »
interesting project.
Good job the Germans lost!
Haddock.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 02:13:18 PM »
Work has started on the cockpit/nose section. The holes for the control columns were deepened with care taken not to go through the floor as this forms the bottom of the vehicle at the front. The yokes are small parts which I had to attach three times, first I tried Contacta, then CA, then lastly CA followed by PlastiWeld. They could have been moulded integrally as this would have made life a lot easier. The instructions say to paint the consoles gloss black but I thought this would be too dark when the cockpit is closed up so I painted the areas where the decals wouldn't be RLM66, with the rest of the cockpit RLM02. The 3D decals didn't want to sit firmly and as online advice says not to use setting lotions I put Klear underneath and on top, followed by thin CA to strengthen the seal once dry.
The seat belts were created from foil which was then coated with RLM02 to give the next coat something to bind to. Dry fitting the upper nose section to the lower showed that the roof and sides of the nosewheel bay had to be thinned to allow it to sit correctly. Dry fitting is definitely a must for this build.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 11:10:43 AM »
Cockpit completed and a trial fit showed that there would be a gap visible at the front of the combing so a piece of scrap will be added to help fill it. The main wheel wells have been built and glued into place with the interiors painted dark green and the cylinder and pipework black. As there is a lot of vehicle body behind the wells it is obvious this would definitely be a 'tail sitter' so I've CAd a fishing weight to the forward floor and put a barrier across the wells to prevent this from going too far back should it come loose. A balance test showed that this weight 'should' be enough.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 04:38:25 PM »
A lot of work had to be done to close up the cockpit with the rear bulkhead and side consoles needing sanding. Once closed the nose had to sanded as there was a definite lump. Another weight was added to body floor along with the rear plate for the engine exhausts and a brace to the rear of the upper as this is long and fairly flimsy the two parts were then coaxed together glueing in stages to ensure as good a fit as possible, there are no locating tabs/points to help with this. The nose was glued into place with some sanding and filling/sanding being required. The wings were added next and faired in followed by the tail planes, again no lugs/tags so CA was used followed by Plastic Weld to try and strenghten the joint as the parts are flimsy. This didn't work on one side as it came off when removing the masking.
The model was then sprayed overall with Humbrol Matt Black from a rattle can, it's the first time I've done it this wasy and I was pleased with the result. Various parts were masked off and then the body was sprayed firstly with Tamiya Matt Titanium followed by Matt Aluminium both lightly to allow the black to act as pre-shading. Once dry the control surfaces were painted Vallejo Metallic Silver and various panels were picked out in Vallejo Silver to break up the overall colour. All the masking was then removed and any touch ups were done using a No. 10 brush.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 01:47:02 PM »
It certainly looks futuristic.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 06:24:13 PM »
Hi Chris,
I agree very futuristic, almost 'Flash Gordon' type of stuff.
Is the cockpit totally enclosed? I cannot make it out in the photo.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 06:28:59 PM »
Hi Kev the cockpit was still masked as the final coat of Satin varnish had yet to be applied after decaling, speaking of which. The Balkenkreuz on the wings and stencils on the sides are from the kit, the Hakenkreuz on the tails and all other markings are from spares. As the vehicle was supposed to land in the Japanese Pacific area I thought I'd add some Hinomaru so it didn't become a victim of 'friendly fire'.
The suggested colour scheme looked to me to have been inspired by that of the Space Shuttle so an internet search brought up photos of that after a return from orbit and the Silbervogel undersides were painted using a selection of greys followed by Vallejo Jet exhaust and finally a mix of Revell weathering powders to try and give the burnt effect seen on re-entry.

Haddock

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 07:33:13 AM »
Looks nice, very realistic,  I like the paint job.
Haddock.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 07:46:22 AM »
Looks a very impressive beast, nice painting as Haddock said.
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 03:58:05 PM »
Thanks, I'm pleased with the way I managed to blend things.