Author Topic: AEC Monarch  (Read 919 times)

cph64

• View Profile
AEC Monarch
« on: November 22, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
Brought along to Play Day 5 as I thought it would be a quick build, hmm...... This is the 1/76 scale Cooper Craft kit of the AEC Monarch 4x2 lorry which is moulded in softish blue/grey plastic. After cleaning the parts and removing visible ejector pin marks a start was made on building the chassis, there are no location points on the parts so careful cross-checking was needed. The parts did react well to the Revell Contacta cement used whilst still allowing some wiggle time to ensure correct alignment. Whilst these parts were drying all the other parts were primed, as was the chassis once set. Internal parts of the cab were then painted as the instructions say it is best to paint all parts individually before assembly.

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: AEC Monarch
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 12:51:25 PM »
I think you got more done than I did at Playday 5 Chris. A good start.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 08:58:04 AM »
Some of the parts broke whilst removing from the sprue trees, you can see the repairs if you look closely at the photos. The front axle was glued to the chassis only for me to find once the cab was fitted that the front end sat too high so this was carefully cut off and inverted. The thing is if you look at photos of the real thing then the kit clearance isn't as high as it should be. The flatbed was made from styrene sheet and edged in Evergreen strip with support brackets coming from spares from a Roden kit, not accurate but I'd decided early on in this build it would depict a hard worked builders vehicle which had seen plenty of abuse and repairs. Having worked alongside farmers I know how much they cobble things together. General painting was then completed followed by Flory washes and Revell powders before the final small parts were added.
Trawling through various websites I couldn't find any reference to this vehicle being used by any of the Armed Services which is why I've stayed with it in civilian colours with this type of vehicle turning up on airbases as Zak said to me.
The kit itself appears to be a mix of various early models of the Monarch and has items such as the front sidelights and 'bullbar' missing, but as an abused builders vehicle I can live with this with the last photo being of the real thing.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 09:02:38 AM »
Nice.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 10:24:24 AM »
Another great model Chris - when do you start on the street from the last photo ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 12:34:01 PM »
Looks good Chris.
Chris

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 02:48:29 PM »
That's a nice build.

Bob c

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 12:32:44 PM »
Thanks everyone. The street's been knocked down Martin to make way a new Aldi!!!!