Author Topic: Boulton Paul P.100  (Read 3254 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Boulton Paul P.100
« on: September 19, 2021, 04:25:07 PM »
Here's the resin surprise Chris.....
The Unicraft kit of the RAF 'What If' Boulton Paul P.100 ground attack a/c. 22 pieces of resin, 1 clear vac canopy, no instuctions, no decals, no cockpit floor but strangely the seat and console are provided as is a profile of the a/c.
The design can be traced back to a design spec issued, without number, on 7 March 1942 for a 'highly manoeuverable single-seat low attack a/c for employment against military forces on the ground, aircraft, invasion craft and shipping. Initially BP designed the P.99 a twin boom aircraft powered by a rear-mounted Griffon engine driving a six blade contra-rotating propeller. To avoid the propeller when baling out the pilot had a downward escape mechanism where the lower forward fuselage fell away (good luck with that one at low level!!).. The P.100 took these features but replaced the tail-wheeled twin boom with a tricycle undercarriage and canard configuration. Armament was to be large calibre cannons and either bombs or rockets with a desired service entry date of January 1944.
I definitely think this one will be a tail-sitter!!!!

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Boulton Paul P.100
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »
Now that is a type of plane I like - nothing like most of the models made on this site - hohohoho
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 01:22:40 PM »
Yes, that quite an interesting design and kit Chris. I presume it never actally flew?
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 03:10:38 PM »
It didn't, there were too many technical problems to overcome at the time. MSea it looks like something you've had your hands on, lol!!!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 03:30:37 PM »
It didn't, there were too many technical problems to overcome at the time. MSea it looks like something you've had your hands on, lol!!!
It would never fly in that case!
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 05:17:56 PM »
What are you 2 trying to say about me - hohohohohho
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 04:04:41 PM »
After enjoying the Indian summer and getting work done in the garden it was time to return to the resin. Casting blocks were sawn from the wings and body halves but when I came to fit the latter together it was apparent one side was warped (so it's not just MSea!!). Despite being bathed in warm/hot water it has refused to bend back. I think it must be due to the thickness of the resin so brute force and ignorance will be the rule of the day when it comes to joining. Sanding down the wings created what looks like a like of coke, perhaps a hint at what I'll need to finish this project, lol!!!
I've created a floor and rear cockpit bulkhead from 45thou sheet but when I trial fitted the console it sat off centre so a lot of sanding and scraping of the cockpit sides has been done but it still needs further work. I may end up sourcing another from the spares box.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 07:38:06 AM »
A real challenge.
Stick with it, it is certainly an unusual aircraft.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 10:14:48 AM »
Yes, the joys of resin. I know how you feel Chris. Must get back to mine.
Chris

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 02:48:53 PM »
Remember to wear the mask.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 04:00:14 PM »
I set up in the garden today to grind out some resin in the cockpit area and also on the wings and still wore a mask. My neighbour thought it was an interesting setup. The next problem I have to overcome is marking and pining the wings, something I haven't done before so this is gonna be one helluva learning curve!!

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 05:43:07 PM »
I set up in the garden today to grind out some resin in the cockpit area and also on the wings and still wore a mask. My neighbour thought it was an interesting setup. The next problem I have to overcome is marking and pining the wings, something I haven't done before so this is gonna be one helluva learning curve!!
Suprising that he even notice the mask - ha, ha.

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 07:13:17 PM »
He must have thought you had been to the beauty saloon - hohohoho
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 01:45:06 PM »
He must have thought you had been to the beauty saloon - hohohoho
Wirh drinks?
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »
I offered to polish his nails, but.......

I did a rough measure up of where the wings and rear wheels would be and marked up the inside of the fuselage halves. Blue Tack 'dams' were positioned and then then bb pellets were superglued into the halves followed by infilling with Blue Tack in an effort to prevent tailsitting. Undercoat was applied to the cockpit area whilst the superglue was setting. During this I realised I should have removed some of the resin in the rear fuselage yesterday whilst I had the drill out so that's a job for when the rain stops!!!
Another first tried on this model is replacing the main undercarriage legs with aluminium tube and brass rod as its apparent the resin ones supplied wouldn't carry the weight. The tubing has been dry fitted to check.