Author Topic: Me P.1100  (Read 1920 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Me P.1100
« on: July 12, 2021, 03:09:21 PM »
Following on from the P.1099 the P.1100 had an off-set canopy ala Canberra B (I).8. References show both solid and perspex nosed versions. The Unicraft conversion set I'm using only supplies the off-set canopy and fuselage top and I can't find anything of the correct size in my spares for a clear nose so solid it will be. I started by cutting down the fuselage and got this slightly wrong so have built it back up but a shim will still be needed at the rear. There is no help with cutting lines in the conversion set. The fuselage was taped together after the nose-wheel bay and gun pack were glued together to give some rigidity. Then the conversion was taped on to help in positioning the pilot's seat. So lots of test and dry fitting to come. Not as easy a conversion as it appears at first glance but it will get me working problems out.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Me P.1100
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 03:15:21 PM »
Might keep you quiet for an hour or two - hohohho
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 03:34:18 PM »
Another interesting model Chris.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 08:15:08 PM »
Hi Chris,
A build, not a stick it together project.
I'm sure you'll master this one in time.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 01:47:52 PM »
Kit cockpit rear bulkhead fitted to resin piece plus a control panel from the spares which if memory serves came from a Do 17. Work started on building the floor up with Blue Tack placed under before glueing down.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 03:53:28 PM »
Inbetween gardening and coating our new summerhouse I've managed to get some progress on the build. As expected there was a lot of test fitting and dry runs to work out the position of the pilots seat. This has now been glued in place and is just awaiting the joystick before the fuselage halves are joined. Work has started on the engines and the hardest part I found on previous builds is to make sure the shock cones are central to the tail piece, so I dry fitted these whilst the glue was still workable. The instructions show the fins for the shock cone to be placed in an X shape but references show them as a vertical cross so I went with the latter.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 08:26:07 PM »
Attention to detail Chris,
Not an 'X' from me, only a 'tick'
Bigkev

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 04:17:07 PM »
After much filling, sanding, priming, repeat numerous times, I'm about at the stage where I'm happy with the front end. (See previous comments about us being too critical of our own work!!!). The P.1100 had two bomb bays, one in front of the main wheels and one behind so some panel lines have been filled and new ones created. Also there was a crew entrance door on the starboard side so this has been marked out and scribed. The wings, complete with engines, and stabilisers have been added with work on the undercarriages started.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 08:16:59 PM »
Neat Work Chris,
You certainly love these '1946 what if's'
This one looking good, and giving you some head scratching as to overcome issues.
Cheers,
Bigkev

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 04:07:51 PM »
All major parts now joined and painted. I've decided to go with the 'two greens' finish so it's Model Air RLM 84 (Version 1) for the undersides, then Model Air RLM 80 Olivgrun and Lifecolor RLM 82 Hellgrun above. After spending around half an hour straining my eyes to see the framework on the canopy I had an epiphany 'Why not use the resin master supplied to see them?'. So I marked the resin frames in black and then put this inside the vacform to use as a guide. It has also come in handy as a guide for cutting the vacform. Decals are from the kit, a Bergamot set for Ju 88s and spares with Xtradecal Hakenkreuz. I had to spend a lot of time sourcing them to get the markings I wanted it.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 02:04:22 PM »
Looking really good Chris.
Chris

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 06:05:25 PM »
Coming along nicely.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 08:39:57 PM »
Nice work, Chris.

Bigkev

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 12:58:41 PM »
After a lot of trimming and sanding the cockpit canopy was put in place. This wasn't the best fit, with not a lot of wiggle room, so some artistic license was applied plus a liberal dose of the Japanese saying about 'the perfect imperfection'!!! The weakest, 'literally', parts of this and the P.1099 build are the locating tabs for the main undercarriage which are small and I would also suggest that if anyone is building the kit they fit the nose wheel assembly to the bay before fitting this to the fuselage. This isn't shown in Stage 5 and it's very difficult to get the retracting arm in after. You'll also find that the locating tabs on the bay roof for the cockpit floor are absent!!
 With all the small parts fitted it was time to dirty up with Flory Wash Grey. The aircraft is finished in the markings of KG54 as this unit didn't convert to fighters near the end of the War. Next up is the payload.........

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 07:19:46 PM »
Excellent Chris. Good photos too.
Chris