Author Topic: Vought Kingfisher  (Read 1016 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Vought Kingfisher
« on: May 09, 2021, 07:08:53 PM »
Back in 2010, I was down in Taunton at DCOS' family's place for Christmas and on 27 Dec, went for a wander into town to have a break from the madness.  A model railway shop was open and I bought this Airfix Kingfisher for no other reason than I could and after gluing the two sets of wing halves together, it had sat unloved in the loft ever since.

I decided it was time to get it done and donated to Holderness Hardware for their window display and so over the last couple of weeks, have been really enoying myself spending as much free time as possible at the bench.

It's an out of the box build with the exception of a bit of stretched sprue rigging between the fuselage float posts (my first ever bit of rigging too!) and the antenna wire (not yet on).

It came together well and I'm quite pleased with it so far - though there's plenty of time to mess that up!  Paints are Vellejo acrylics and are approximate colours only.  I gave it a base coat of white over the Halfords grey primer and then some chipping fluid before the top colours so I could have a go at a battered look.  How realistic it is I neither know nor care.  It's typical old Airfix raised detail and rivets which I left alone other than rubbing down the rivets on the floats slightly.

I nearly made a schoolboy error when putting it together as I was that keen to get the wing floats on, they would have gone on before the underwing marking had I not glanced at the paint intructions purely by chance!

I decided to have a go at masking the canopy rather than paint by hand and tidy up with a cocktail stick as I usually do so that was a peaceful 2 hours last night with some Tamiya tape and a few exacto blades.  Tonight I'll give it a spray and hope the paint doesn't come off with the tape which I'm not looking forward to as I always find the Vallejo paints so very soft and not only do they take a very long time to cure, the chipping didn't work too well on the underside as the white came off as well as the light grey.  That'll be touched up over the next week.  What's left to do on the actual aircraft is sort out the weathering, fix the canopy (open or closed???)  add the MG and antenna, underwing light and then get started on the base.

It will be displayed on water - or rather resin - and so I made a deep picture frame style base to sit it in.  The ply at the bottom was the right width but longer than I needed although I may be able to incorporate the extra bit into the finished display.  If not, I'll cut it off.  I'm still deciding exactly how it will look so will keep you posted as things progress.  Working with water/resin is another first for me and so if this goes wrong, I not only waste the resin but lose the kit too as it will be sitting in the resin not on it - although I suppose if it comes down to it, I could cut it out and start again or make it a "waterline" float!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:13:15 PM by Wizzel »

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Vought Kingfisher
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 01:35:59 PM »
Your weathering looks pretty realistic Dave. Nice finish.
Chris

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 03:12:12 PM »
Very good, I remember building one in the stone age or thereabouts.
Grumpy by name and nature

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 06:40:38 PM »
Looks really good.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 07:36:27 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
I remember this fondly.
There used to be Kirkby's in Queen Street, Bridlington,  that had a fantastic display of Airfix kits when I was a lad, also a shop on the promenade in Bridlington opposite the old bus station site that also stocked Airfix, and here I bought the 'Kingfisher'
Moulded then in a Dark Blue plastic, complete with liberal rivets all over.
I think my boxing had the box art of being launched by catapult from a US ship.
Built in a Saturday afternoon, and in service that night......
Happy days,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 07:54:50 PM »
Looks good.

Bob c

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 03:08:49 PM »
The paint chipping looks really good, captures the 'used' look. I remember building this as a lad and finishing it as a 'Yellow wing'.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 06:28:02 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it sat in the resin.    8)
Nice work.
Andy