Author Topic: Minenraumer  (Read 2333 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Minenraumer
« on: May 07, 2021, 02:45:52 PM »
And now for something completely different.....
This is the Takom 1/72 scale 1+1 boxing of the Krupp Raumer S and the Alkett Vs.Kfz.617 both of which never got beyond the prototype stage. Both were designed to the same specification for a mine clearing device with the Raumer S weighing in at 130 tons and with a crew of 8. It was anticipated to be ready for testing at Kummersdorf by November 1944 after several delays. The 4 wheels didn't give the 'lane' clearance required by the spec and it is believed that it would have been deployed with a front mounted roller system. The Americans took possession of it when they occupied the Hillersleben test site in 1945.
The Alkett Vs.Kfz.617 was designed with 3 heavy shoed wheels which were to detonate the mines and was steered by power take offs and clutches which operated two chains to turn the rear wheel. Testing was completed in 1942 but the method of steering was found to be unsatisfactory as the rear wheel dug in, the vehicle was slow to handle and it's weight meant it bogged down easily making it an easy target for artillery. The Russians captured it in 1945 and it is now in the Kubinka Museum.
The kit is moulded in grey plastic and comes with a 14 page instruction booklet, an etched brass fret and decals and paint schemes for 3 markings for each vehicle, but we'll see......

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Minenraumer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:18:57 PM »
This one should go with a bang Chris - hohohho - will follow with interest
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 05:34:09 PM »
Interesting prototypes.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
That's an interesting vehicle Chris. It reminds me a bit of the British 'funnies'.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
I started on the 617 first building in modules so I can paint the areas which will be difficult to get at later. The kits have lots and lots of ejector pins, holes and seams so it is important to check photos to see which is a mould joint and which is an actual weld or plate fitting. I used  Vallejo UK Dark Bronze Primer as I wanted a dark base for the Panzergrau in case any difficult areas are missed, giving two brushed coats. Whilst this was drying I started on the Raumer S the body goes together so well it's almost a 'click' kit. The ejector pins on the inside of the body can be left to use as guides with only the ones at the front of the cabin requiring removal for a good fit. These are the ones at the other end of the body from those marked on the photo. Another senior moment I'm afraid!!

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 02:07:41 PM »
The mouldings do look good.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 04:25:27 PM »
Yes the moudlings are crisp with lots of rivet detail etc., it's just a pity there's so many ejector pins and some of the parts join the trees in awkward places. But they're still great kits. Taking advantage of the sunshine I primed the Raumer S outside with Halfords Grey. Dry in no time.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 05:59:11 PM »
Great project, looks a bit 'Steam Punky'.
I bet the crew lost a few fillings when the tested it.
Good work that man.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 04:47:56 PM »
Andy, the Raumer S had sprung crew seats and huge springs on the wheels so when a mine went off the vehicle jumped. Well that was the plan!!!
The 617 'wheels' had the fishplates painted in Vallejo Gunmetal followed by Natural Steel to try and get a used look but I think I'll have to revisit them once the shoes are on. I joined one set of shoes to see if it was possible to snap these into place after tidying up the halves. It is just possible with minimal tidy up,
The Raumer S was sprayed with Vallejo and Xtracrylic Dunkelgelb followed by a light dusting of both Vallejo Rotbraun and Xtracrylic Vietnam Green. I'd painted the wheel pads with Natural Steel only to read that the pads were rubber. They may well have been on the prototype but I don't think that's practical for a production machine, but to edge my bets I lightly overpainted them with Tamiya Rubber Black.
The swivel mechanism goes together well and was painted as per the main body with the pistons, which move, using Vallejo Silver.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 07:43:38 AM »
Looking really nice.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 12:41:51 PM »
Nice work Chris.
Chris

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 01:25:14 PM »
Good work Chris
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 04:42:52 PM »
By 1942 the Panzertruppe realised they had to break up the outline of vehicles so a mix of Vallejo Dark Yellow and Xtracrylic Dunkelgelb was applied in rough bands to the Vs.Kfz.617. One of the decal options is for the vehicle being used in December 1942 by 209 Panzer Pioneer Bataillon, 11 'Gespenster' (Ghost) Pz.Div near the Chir River in the attempted relief of Stalingrad, I've backdated it as being used that Summer. The wheels and shoes were painted in Vallejo Natural Steel, Rotbraun and Panzergrau followed by Flory washes of Grime, Brown and Rust then finished with Revell Dark Brown weathering powder.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 07:08:22 PM »
Strange but very cool.  8)
Good work Chris.
Andy

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »