Author Topic: 1/72ndscale undercarriges are they the way satan gets his revenge on earth ?  (Read 2243 times)

driffowl

>:(YES THEY F.!*%$ing ARE.........and thats official,has any manufacturer of models EVER made a 1/72nd scale aircraft where the undercarriage fits and goes together EASILY.

bridlufc

Hi Geoff, having problems? Seriously though, I tend to lean towards the idea that manufacturers purposely make your modelling as difficult as possible. I find that the plastic is never strong enough to hold the model up on its undercarriage anyway. But there are plenty of decent aftermarket undercarriage kits available at reasonable prices if you want to go in that direction.

Tony

driffowl

just having a rant mate .big hands and 1 72nd parts dont mix 8)

bridlufc

I dont have many problems with building undercarriage in 1/72 scale, I find patience is a virtue though. I find canopies really hard to get myself motivated with, I don't know why. Everything looks perfect after dipping in Klear, mask it up, spray it, remove the mask and it is so disheartening to find the paint has bled or there are finger marks, even though I wear vinyl gloves as much as possible in the process. To me, the canopy is one of the most important parts of the model, it really does take a model up a level in displaying terms, but hey, ce la vie.

driffowl

it would be easier for me and you to text each other mate as we appear to be the only people who use this site.

i know what you mean about canopies but of all the aircraft i have been on or seen not 1 of them had a crystal clear windscreen or windows so not sure if we should portray them as such myself  8)

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Just treat it as your personal website.
Dave
(by the way I sometimes cannot see the pictures that you post - you Geoff that is)
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey Lads,

I'm back off me hols and I look at the website reguarly, so you are not by yourselves!

Undercarts, eh................

Depends on your model and the fragility of the real thing. In 'scale' it is hard to make fine plastic bits as strong as the the high tensile steels/metals used in undercarriages in the real world.

if possible, replace them with replacments from aftermarket companies like SAC who do a good selection in 'metal' which are more robust than the plastic originals in the kit. 

Otherwise, try not to subject your model to too much stress, whilst transporting, etc. I tend to support my models so they are off the undercart whilst being moved, and only allow them to 'sit' on their undercarts when on display.

Drilling out undercarriage legsmight be another 'cheaper' option, but you need a really steady hand and strong pins to insert, and then judicious use of superglue and accelerator to complete. If you can replace, if not reinforce, if not transport better, or why not put model on a stand and have it in flying mode??

Bigkev   
I hope my next is always better