Author Topic: Dornier Do 215B-5  (Read 5269 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Re: Dornier Do 215B-5
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 03:25:55 PM »
I've been tempted Howard!!!
The undercarriage has taken a long time to fit as it's made up of seven fragile pieces, which kept breaking, and there is no clear instruction on how they go together and where they fit. The new tooling has this down to two pieces complete with location holes!!! I worked things out using the kit plans, the new tool plans and an article in SAMI.
The cockpit is masked using a combination of Tamiya tape, Maskol and some of the Montex masks for the Airfix Do 17Z. Surprisingly the masks for the wheels don't fit but those for the Bristol Bombay do. Some fettling was required to get an' as near as' fit for the canopy with gaps filled with PPP. This has been given a coat of RLM 02 representing the internal framework.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 09:16:03 PM »
It's trying your patience is this one Chris.  Keep at it though.  I'm sure you'll make a good job of it in the end!

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 01:16:15 PM »
Another labour of love Chris.
Chris

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
Another labour of love Chris.
Looks like that is what it is!
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 02:08:49 PM »
patience grasshopper
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 08:54:34 PM »
Hi Chris,
Another great build.
Looks like you are winning in this build, judges score you ahead.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 04:28:31 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments everyone.
I'd painted the underside RLM 65 Hellblau before realising that it should have been RLM 76 Lichtblau, now here's the thing RLM 65 sprayed thinly over Halfords Grey Primer looks like RLM 76 so no need to respray, bonus!! Left overnight to dry the undersurfaces were masked with tape, blue tack and Maskol before the uppersurfaces were sprayed RLM 75 Grauviolett. I tried spraying differently by doing individual panels for a change which has created a 'mottled' effect. I'll see what it looks like when dried thoroughly.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 06:28:38 PM »
That looks excellent.  8)
Andy

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 02:39:33 PM »
Looking good Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 03:13:55 PM »
I used up my supply of Blue Tack and had to resort to Maskol in a couple of places. Then it was off to the spray box for the RLM 74 Graugrun which will be left overnight before removing the masking. Fingers crossed.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 05:46:21 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments everyone.
I'd painted the underside RLM 65 Hellblau before realising that it should have been RLM 76 Lichtblau, now here's the thing RLM 65 sprayed thinly over Halfords Grey Primer looks like RLM 76 so no need to respray, bonus!! Left overnight to dry the undersurfaces were masked with tape, blue tack and Maskol before the uppersurfaces were sprayed RLM 75 Grauviolett. I tried spraying differently by doing individual panels for a change which has created a 'mottled' effect. I'll see what it looks like when dried thoroughly.

Hi Chris,
That mottled effect looks very effective, even at this early stage.
Power to you Guv!
Cheers,
Bigkev

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 03:39:56 PM »
Masking removed and I'm pleased with the result. The kit instructions only show side views of this aircraft so I referred to a photo of a Do 217 Nachtjager for the upper surfaces and used artistic license for the rest. Just a little bit of bleed on the underside so that can be touched up after decalling. And I should have known better there, the saga continues!!! The first one shattered and I repaired as best as then so did the second, but even worse so they were binned and I turned to the spares box. Luckily between odd spares and the Xtradecal sheets I obtained the crosses and swastikas. The remaining kit decals have had two coats of Klear applied but I will go back and do a third or even a fourth later. If the Unit codes and Nachtjager badges shatter then I'll have to source them from elsewhere as I don't have the correct letters or size of badge in my spares box.

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2021, 06:17:42 PM »
It's been a trial Chris, but looks well worth it!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »
The Gruppe markings almost went on with out a problem, one side gave no trouble but the other side split. These were repaired as best as and then I realised that they were in RLM 02 so I coated them in Klear again and painted the cracks accordingly. The white around the Nachtjager badges shattered and came away as did part of the white around both green 'D's. These were repaired using the white pencil I have for canopy liners. The red walkway lines on the body couldn't be saved so were replaced by spares from the Do 17Z build but the ones on the wings were repairable, which couldn't be said for the warning signs so these again were sourced from spare. All the fuel/oil markings had to be repaired as best as.
The mudguards aren't a great fit and had to be eased into place and then the flame dampers were fitted after making adjustments plus painting and applying washes.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »
Hi Chris,
Nice end result, despite all the problems you encountered.
Is the next project a 'simple straight forward build'
Bigkev