Author Topic: new scam on the e-mails  (Read 875 times)

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
new scam on the e-mails
« on: December 06, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »
I know non of you are daft enough to fall for this but just passing information on.
Got an e-mail last night from a Mrs Natalie Wright with the heading "read and reply" - so have updated all my security and then had a quick look this morning.   It starts with Im Mrs Natalie  ( a big give away to begin with as they have not said Im Mrs Wright )  and they then go on to say about they have important information for me  about an investment partnership and to reply on an e-mail..
How anybody falls for this obvious scam I don't know but just letting you all know to be on the look out and just dump it if you get one.
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: new scam on the e-mails
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 11:10:18 AM »
Thanks Martin.
I keep getting phone calls telling me that my land line/broadband will be disconnected and I need to press 1.
These are automated messages and all come from different numbers, some are even from the local rea and have a local Bempton/ Flamborough number.
The lengths people go to.
Get a proper job!
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Re: new scam on the e-mails
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 05:37:32 PM »
I've had quite a few 'phone calls from the "SKY Technical Team" (different numbers but all originating from the area code) telling me that they've detected issues with the speed and connectivity of my broadband and want to me to do various things to help them sort it out.  They are unable to provide any details of my account with SKY (I am actually with SKY broadband but of course they don't know that when they call, they just bargain on a good percentage of people being with SKY and then, with all the working from home putting a strain on bandwidth, they'll eventually stumble on someone who does have problems and then is then naive enough to do what they ask), they all speak with a strong Asian accent (SKY staff are British) and there is heavy call centre background noise.  They try to prove they are from SKY by asking you to type certain commands in to your computer which brings up a number they claim is unique to your account.  All in all, a very poor scam and full of holes if you have your wits about you but of course plenty of people are vulnerable to this. 

Depending on my mood and how much time I have, I either string them along or pick up the 'phone and say "SKY Technical team, can I have your surname and the first line of your address please?" They hang up instantly.