Author Topic: Bristol Bombay  (Read 3215 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Bristol Bombay
« on: November 24, 2020, 04:04:26 PM »
Here's one I rescued from the 'Shelf of Shame' whilst waiting for parts on the Dove to set.
It's the Valom mixed media, injection, P.E. and resin, kit which I bought on it's release in 2015 as I wanted to model one as seen in a photo at Doncaster Airport (not RAF Finningley but the original one at Belle Vue, all that remains of which is now the Air Museum). Further research showed the a/c belonged to 1680 Flight RAF which became 271 Squadron in May 1940. As well as Bombays it was equipped with Harrows, H.P. 42 Heracles and D.H. 91 Albatrosses. It was a photo and build of the latter plus a photo of a Bombay which led me to the yellow underside finish for my a/c.
Being a limited run kit there are no locating lugs to help with aligning the body etc. Internal detail is good in the cockpit but there is nothing in the body. The machine guns are somewhat fiddly to build and I've left the barrels off with it being used as a transport. The kit instructions would have you put the aerial masts and DF loop in the wrong place, all of which are provided as P.E. so the thin former were replaced by items from the spares box. The biggest error in the instructions is telling you to paint the gun turret frames. There aren't any, the Perspex was simply bolted together, luckily I hadn't fallen fully into this trap having only primed them so they were covered in Maskol before spraying the camouflague. The resin engines have to be worked on to get them to fit into the cowlings which is the reason I initially gave up and put the model on the shelf before having gained more experience in working with resin. My main mistake was painting the yellow about a scale foot too high up the body side.
The decals are good but fragile and the instructions tell you to put some of them near panel lines that aren't on the model (a la some Revell instructions).

Red Lancer

• View Profile
Re: Bristol Bombay
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 05:27:48 PM »
Looks interesting!

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
A different model. Not seen one of those before.
Chris

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 02:55:29 PM »
Definitely different
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:48:14 PM »
Hi Chris,
A very unusual model, and not often seen.
One question.... You mention the gun turrets as not having framing, but being perspex bolted together.
Would the perspex need to have been supported by a frame internally, and therefore have some sort of representation behind the perspex?
How you would show this I do not know, but I would think there would be some sort of framing somewhere on the turret, but I maybe wrong.
Anyway, a nice looking model nonetheless.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 08:07:02 PM »
The plane is basically an oblong box with wings. It stems from the Inter-war period when the RAF wanted transport planes that could also be used as bombers. Production started in 1935 with it ordered to replace the Vickers Valentia transport/bomber overseas and as such bomb racks could be fitted to the belly to take 8 250lb bombs.
As for the turret Kev I can't find any reference saying there was an internal frame. One online kit build says they must have rattled in flight!!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 08:57:44 PM »
The plane is basically an oblong box with wings. It stems from the Inter-war period when the RAF wanted transport planes that could also be used as bombers. Production started in 1935 with it ordered to replace the Vickers Valentia transport/bomber overseas and as such bomb racks could be fitted to the belly to take 8 250lb bombs.
As for the turret Kev I can't find any reference saying there was an internal frame. One online kit build says they must have rattled in flight!!

I bow to superior knowledge.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 03:16:46 PM »
Strange looking airplane.  Goes along nicely with lots of other strange aircraft of that pre WW2 era.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 06:26:34 AM »
Yes Andy there were some strange looking a/c in that period which somehow appeal.

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 02:00:04 PM »
Blackburn Aircraft were good at strange looking things
 Roc, Skua etc.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »
Indeed they were Howard but there's some even weirder ones out here such as the Overstrand.
The DF loop and pitot tube were the last items to be fitted being PE. I'm not sure about the underchin pitot tube though with it being PE it looks a bit thin but as I don't have anything like it in my spares I'll have to live with it. As per several online builds I found that the cabin windows weren't a good fit so they went in as best as and have since been 'filled' with Glue and Glaze to get them looking correct. Finished as L5813 before 1680 Flight became 271 Sqdn during whose use it crashed at Betheniville, France, on 11th May 1940.
This is not a 'shake and bake' kit but I would recommend it to anyone who wants something different in their collection. There are 3 different boxings of the Bombay and also one of the Harrow, but not the Sparrow.

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 06:31:13 PM »
Looks good. Well done

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 08:06:48 AM »
Looks nice especially with the trees in the background.
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 05:01:44 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments. I use 1:1 scale trees and sheep in my dioramas.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments. I use 1:1 scale trees and sheep in my dioramas.
We don't want any more details about sheep!
Grumpy by name and nature