Author Topic: Me 410A-2/U4  (Read 1278 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Me 410A-2/U4
« on: August 18, 2022, 10:10:08 AM »
At the end of 1941 the RLM (ReichsLuftfahrtMinisterium) suggested fitting turbojet attachments as a special Rustsatz (equipment set) in order to achieve a short-time tactical speed increase, Accordingly tests were carried out by fitting a Junkers Jumo 004 turbojet under both a Ju 88 and a He 219, photos of which are in Herwig and Rode's 'Luftwaffe Secret Projects - Ground Attack and Special Purpose Aircraft'. Page 180 of this book has an artist's impression of two Jumo 004s under a Me 410A-2/U4 and so the story(challenge) begins......
The Matchbox Me 410 dates from 1975 and was of the then standard of differing coloured sprues with minimal internal detail, no joystick/consoles and seats like sun loungers, with marking details being on the back of the box. I'd bought an ExtraTech etch set to detail this but as it's for the Italeri release some more work will be required. I also wanted to upgrade the 7.5cm BK and invested in the Schatton Modellbau set, albeit for the Ar 240.
The 'standard' A-2/U4 was only fitted with a 5cm BordKanone so basically this is a 'What If' of a 'What If', so wish me luck. Although in researching the cockpit I came across a post saying that the 7.5cm BK could have been fitted a la Hs 129 and went for trials and could also have gone to Norway......

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Me 410A-2/U4
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 03:45:51 PM »
Do the 7.5  Chris - it should be interesting.
MSea

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »
Do the big gun Chris.

Bob c

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 06:22:53 PM »
Yep, I'm definitely doing the 7.5cm BK.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 02:56:23 PM »
Should be interesting.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 05:01:33 PM »
The resin cockpit floor and the 7.5cm housing were removed from their casting blocks, I spent a lot of time wearing a mask at the bathroom sink with this part. The floor and automatic loader were then painted before holes were drilled and the wire was fitted. I'd managed to find a white metal seat in the spares so this was tidied up and fitted also. I had to remove the locating tabs in the centre section of the cockpit to allow the loader to fit. The kit floor was put in upside down to give me a smooth surface to fit the resin floor to with the sidewalls then being marked for the etch details would go. These were fitted, primed, painted and a wash applied, I'll pick out the detail once I get the side consoles in place. A rear bulkhead was then made and fitted. Inbetween all the above I sourced two engines from my Frog Arado 234 spares and made these up removing the locating tabs and the B-2 bomb carrier fairings. Next up was fitting the etch to the underwing radiators, the difference in detail can be seen in the photo, but to get the housings to fit under the wings I had to cut slots and then run Tamiya Extra Thin glue in.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 01:27:31 PM »
Another labour of love methinks.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 05:52:26 PM »
A rear seat was sourced and I cut the top off to use as the armoured headrest for the pilot but a cross member will need to be fitted. Both had harnesses made from Tamiya tape fitted then the seats and belts were painted. Various etch parts were fitted in the cockpit and as there are no side consoles I made some from scrap plastic using the etch parts as a template and found a joystick which was fitted also. Once the fuselage is joined up there will be more etch to fit.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 02:21:48 PM »
All in 1/72nd. Not bad at all Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 02:49:07 PM »
Fuselage joined and more etch fitted. The ExtraTech instructions aren't clear as to how the A frame behind the pilot's armour is bent and how it fits so as this is a WhatIf I put it where I fancied. The fuselage seams were then cleaned up and work was done on the canopy. I have a vacform in my stash but decided to go with the kit one as the frame is more defined, however this meant removing an internal ejector pin mark and mould seams using a new blade and sanding pads. The aerial hole was also drilled for clearance. The fairing for the 7.5cm BK required a lot of work to get it somewhere near and that included sanding the bottom of the fuselage. Once everthing has been given time to set it will be out with the filler and tape for the canopy.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 12:42:59 PM »
Looking good.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 03:18:43 PM »
All masked up and the wings and tailplanes attached but I left the MG131s out of the barbettes to ease painting the fuselage. I based the paint scheme on a late war Bf 109 and started by spraying the undersides, tail and fuselage Xtracrylic RLM 76 Lichtblau followed by brush painting Humbrol RLM 02 along the fuselage. I had to brush paint as like a lot of Humbrol paints it's like working with artex and my airbrush didn't like it (see also RLM 75 later). The fuselage area above the wing roots was then masked and the main camouflage colours of Humbrol RLM 75 Grauviolett, which had to heavily thinned, and Xtracrylic RLM 82 Dunkelgrun were applied, with mottling using these two colours. The rudder and underwing theatre markings were applied with Vallejo RLM 04 Gelb over a base of white. Spinners and propellers are RLM 71 Dunkelgrun. The Jumo 004s were painted Humbrol RLM 65 Hellblau to give a variation underneath with RLM 71 mottling. The intakes are RLM 02 and the turbine blades Vallejo Metallic Silver. The 7.5cm BK had a base coat of Vallejo Matt Black drybrushed with their Panzer Grey.
Due to the age of the kit I sourced markings from the spares box and as this build was started whilst we were in self isolation due to Tracy testing positive (I haven't so far) I rooted through the box to get letters for CO+VD as the Stammkenzeichen but I couldn't find a perfect match for the O. All were treated with Micro Set and Sol to bed them in.
Once everything was dry the BordKanon, Jumo 004s, pitot and mast were fitted, it was out with the Humbrol Acrylic Satin spray and when dry the masking was removed and touchups done with a cocktail stick.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »
Looking great Chris ready to fly
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 02:11:39 PM »
Looking very nice Chris.