Author Topic: Fort Paull  (Read 2979 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Fort Paull
« on: August 27, 2020, 04:33:05 PM »
I see there's been an article in the Yorkshire Post saying that Fort Paull has been bought and all the items within are up for auction, so if you've got £1100 to spare and the room you can have your very own Blackburn Beverley or if you want something smaller the Hawker Hunter that used to be outside Humbrol on Hedon Road. Wonder if Trevor is putting a bid in? Don't despair you 'Tankers' there's ordnance for sale and bits and bobs for Howard too. Not sure if there's anything for you nautical chappies apart from the damp. The article said the site had been refurbished in 2002? I was there after that and you needed scuba gear in some places the damp was that bad!!!!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Paull
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 05:37:13 PM »
I remember it as very wet, not the best place to store aircraft.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 05:59:08 PM »
I remember it as very wet, not the best place to store aircraft.

Hi,
Probably the WORST place to put aircraft exhibits!
If I remember rightly, Aluminuim does not take kindly 'salt-laden air' and will have caused irreversible damage to the airframes already.
Just checked my piggy bank, I've got 67p to contribute to the fund.......
Sad for the artifacts there on display,
Hope somebody with common sense and an understanding of the historical value of these irreplaceable items will step forward and save them for future generations.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:04:18 AM »
Visited there many years ago and before that the transport museum in Beverley where I first saw the Blackburn Beverley originally. Hope all the exhibits get to a good home.
Chris

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 09:53:59 AM »
Visited there many years ago and before that the transport museum in Beverley where I first saw the Blackburn Beverley originally. Hope all the exhibits get to a good home.
I used to really enjoy a visit to the Army Transport Museum, sadly, no more.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 10:47:57 AM »
Yes the Army Transport was great :) :) but when I visited Fort Paul  :( :( they had uniforms down in a bunker with a small plastic screen to stop people touching them but open to the elements - so knew that they would rot within months - have some people no ideas how to display things. 
When I visited the "36 hours at Jutland" exhibit in London - said to the girl on the exit that the display must have been put together by somebody about 20 to 30 years old, Because the information display boards positioned very low down in the case and at 90 degrees to the front glass plate - and 90% of the visitors like me old and decrepit, so they could not bend down easily to read them - the joys of getting old  :-\ :-\ :-\
MSea

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 11:03:44 AM »
The first time I visited Fort Paul, was a test drive in my sons first car.
When we arrived I was greeted by a past pupil whose dad was a trustee and we got in for free. The ex-pupil said I was one of the few who had treated him well and with humour. See there is payback.
His dad used to own and run the waxworks in Bridlington, some of his old dummies were on display in the museum. The waxworks were quite horrendous, bearing no resemblance to anyone.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 12:26:36 PM »
Now Zak, thinking about it the dummies did remind me of somebody - now who could that be - hohohohho
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 06:33:24 PM »
Now Zak, thinking about it the dummies did remind me of somebody - now who could that be - hohohohho

Probably you Msea,
Those mirrors don't lie.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
I've herd Fort Paul is going to be developed into a new Aldi... or was it Charity shop.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 05:37:18 PM »
If it follows the norm in Scarborough it will become old folks flats!!! You're spot on about the dummies/uniforms etc. Re Beverley Transport Museum I enjoyed my visit to it and it is a pity it had to close.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »
Yes, that transport museum was brill.  Being a Beverley lad, I used to go in there regularly and knew a lot of the people who worked there.  I even got permission to take some of the fine sand from one of the  displays - I think there was a half track in N. Africa livery there - for my own little diorama I was making at the time.

There was a massive display of 1/72 models there too - some bloke (you'll probably know him, you lot, though I can't remember his name - had donated or allowed them to display his collection of aircraft.

First time I went to Fort Paull was for a re-enactment and I was sorely disappointed with the way things were displayed.  No chance it would ever have lasted long as the chance of repeat visitors was pretty nil without some independent event to attract them back.

Good car boot at Paull sportsfield though, first Saturday of the month April until October - weather and infection permitting!

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 05:58:37 PM »
I can't remember his name either, Wizzel, but I think he was the MP for Howden  area years ago.
 The RAe at Brough organised a trip around his house in Brantingham many, many years ago There was room after room stuffed with aircraft and ships of all scales.

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 08:30:12 PM »
I'd like to the the Beverley and Hunter go to Elvington, to big for my garden.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »
The bid for the Beverley is currently at £5500.
Chris