Author Topic: V1 Launch Site  (Read 2552 times)

cph64

• View Profile
V1 Launch Site
« on: August 21, 2020, 04:45:52 PM »
Zak recently kindly passed on this part made Modelcollect kit which contains two launch ramps and V1s. A total of 29 softish grey plastic parts make up each ramp and missile and once complete each ramp will be 16" long. The instructions show standard Luftwaffe crosses on the wings but I've yet to see photos showing this in real life, plus the unit insignia are the 'standard' ones in all the other Modelcollect kits I've built i.e. E-50 and E-100.

cph64

• View Profile
Re: V1 Launch Site
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 04:43:27 PM »
Major parts tidied up and primed. It's been a while since I painted concrete so looking forward to the challenge.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 06:01:09 PM »
I did build one in 1:48 scale and it was on here, but obviously long gone.
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 01:00:23 PM »
Painting started with the V1 undersides in RLM 65 and the ramp sections given an initial hand-painted coat of Dunkelgelb to ensure it went into all the recesses. The loading areas and piston have an initial coat of natural steel which will be over painted, as have the support trestles which have been coated in RLM 70, Schwarzgrun. The concrete blocks were painted in Smoke, to give some depth, followed by IJN Grey, US Dark Grey, Deck Tan and Light Grey to give variation. Although they look bright in the photo they will be toned back using Revell Mud Green weathering powder.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 03:30:49 PM »
Looking good Chris.
I think the V weapon programs really sum up Nazi's.
Is the launch ramp in the kit the full length??
Andy.
Andy

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 03:41:06 PM »
Will not say anything about you going off the rails - hohohoho - will enjoy watching this model progress.
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 03:43:37 PM »
An interesting model Chris. Looking good so far.
Chris

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 04:52:49 PM »
Interesting looking subject.
Haddock.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 07:17:40 PM »
I'll have check against photos Andy but it looks about right for this type of ramp. MSea, I think I have a base for this so it could be yet another mini diorama. This diorama thingy is getting infectious!!!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 07:39:20 PM »
Just checked the length Andy and the kit supplies about half the original per model. Being two models there are enough sections to make a full ramp but they don't supply trestles the correct height so these would have to be scratch built or converted from kit parts. Hmmm.......

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 08:55:01 AM »
More work then!
Chris

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 10:09:38 AM »
More interesting stuff!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 12:03:15 PM »
The upper surfaces of the V1 have been painted RLM 70 with the interior of the pulse jet getting a coat of Aluminium. The individual sections of the ramp received another coat of Dunkelgelb before the were joined together. with Superglue Gel, using the base to ensure correct sitting and alignment. Once cured the blocks and trestles were fitted before the disruptive RLM 81 was added. This was hand painted as I wanted it to look as if the Russian POWs were given a tin of paint and told to get on with it. When dry the complete ramp was Superglued to the base with the blocks and parts of the ramp being weathered using powder.
An interesting build but I think Modelcollect missed a trick in that rather than doubling up on the ramps they could have provided the loading trolley and start up apparatus for the V1 plus the T-Stoff and Z-Stoff cylinders which create the steam to drive the piston, seen at the rear of the ramp.
There is conflicting information as to who was in charge of V1 operations with the kit instructions stating they came under the command of Flak Regiment 155 (W), presumable Colonel Wachtel the Commanding Officer whilst Wikipedia gives other sources. Whilst over 8000 were launched, again figures vary, only around  quarter of them reached in England with the furthest getting to Manchester.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
That looks quite impressive, glad you managed to do something with it.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 01:48:52 PM »
I found some photos of my 1:48 bunker.