Author Topic: F-84 G  (Read 3241 times)

cph64

• View Profile
F-84 G
« on: August 02, 2020, 05:14:24 PM »
This is the vintage Heller offering of the F-84 G and comes complete with free raised panel lines, little internal detail and a see through body!! The kit consists of only 43 grey plastic pieces one of which isn't used in my build, the closed air-brake, and two clear parts for the canopy and four clear for the landing lights. I didn't know until reading the notes that this was the first American jet capable of carrying an atom bomb.
The completed model will join my 'Places what I have been to' collection. As some of you are aware I go to Norway regularly to ring birds on the island of Store Faerder (Stoora Far der) in Oslofjord. To get there I fly into Sanderfjord Torp and on the airfield perimeter is a small collection of aircraft which have been used by the RNoAF including an F-84 G marked up as from the same squadron as the kit decals. Do you now see the connection? The one at Torp is T-FN so I'll have to alter the unit codes.
Once the cockpit tub and intake/front wheel well were in place it was obvious you could see through into the space where the weight would be put to prevent a tail-sitter, I've also put weight at the front of the wingtip tanks to help, so a blanking plate has been fitted. The a/c at Torp is sat with the air-brake open so I've had to open the 72 holes out using a 0.3mm drill.

councilman

• View Profile
Re: F-84 G
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 06:04:15 PM »
This one looks a labor of love.
Your getting through some kits Chris.
Andy
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 11:33:31 AM »
It is Andy. The weather's been shocking up here at times so plenty of opportunity to work through my stash.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
There is a lot of work going i to this one Chris. A lot of accurate drilling.
Chris

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 02:44:58 PM »
There is a lot of work going i to this one Chris. A lot of accurate drilling.
A boring experience? (lots of drilling - futile attempt at wit!)
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 02:41:30 PM »
In IPMS Magazine 6 2018, Peter Terry in his Golden Oldies article says that for it's age the parts fit is very good and the need for filler minimal making for a good clean and no problem assembly. Mmmm.... I found the locating points for the cockpit tub and intake not precise so lots of dry fitting was done before applying glue and if you look closely at the first photo you'll see how the panel lines match up but the air brake recess and front and rear of the body don't!!! Filler had to be used at the various places to blend things in and the wing tip tanks needed some heavy sanding to remove the join. The things we do for love!!

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 03:13:35 PM »
It's all part of the modelling experience, but very frustrating.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »
Having done that amount of drilling Chris I expect you'll survive this one.
Chris

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
It will look good when you finish it
MSea

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 05:33:10 PM »
How many drills did you break? I usually manage to break one putting it in the chuck!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 05:19:39 PM »
I didn't break any Howard, just the main undercarriage off twice, ####. More filler required on the spine and in a few other places and the tail has been undercoated with rattle can white primer then Appliance White, both by Halfords, as part of the tail marking. The blue is going to be interesting as it's supposed to be Cobalt Blue but on the decals it has darkened considerably so it may be a touch of artistic license when I come to mix it.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »
There's nowt wrong with artistic licence. I use it pretty often.
Chris

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 02:37:37 PM »
There's nowt wrong with artistic licence. I use it pretty often.
you don't even need the licence! Just go for it.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 08:41:13 PM »
Do as you think best and *** the rivet counters.
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 03:58:51 PM »
Using the tail decal as a template I masked off the white area and painted the tail markings. As luck would have it I found acrylic pots of Humbrol 25 Red and 60 Blue, which matches Cobalt Blue, in my stash of pots from 'Starter Sets'. Bonus. So the colours will be as near as. I can't use the kit tail decal as it has the wrong number which is also too big. Looks like a dig through my decal stash. The tail area will be tidied up when fully cured with areas of metallic paint. Referring once again to the IPMS article Peter Terry says most Thunderjets were finished in Aero-lack aluminium which gives a dull appearance and he used Tamiya XF-16 Matt Aluminium, as have I. The aft part of the fuselage is yet to be painted once I can mask around the tail.  The original air-frame is actually of Dutch origin and as such would have been camouflaged then over painted once it went to Norway. This gives some license again re the finish of the aluminium.