Author Topic: Me 262B-2  (Read 3116 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Me 262B-2
« on: June 12, 2020, 01:20:00 PM »
As rain meant I couldn't do jobs outside whilst waiting for the putty on the Lippisch to set thoroughly (I did the housework yesterday!!) it was time to raid the stash again for a 'filler'.
This is the Special Hobby 1/72 scale model of the projected Me 262B-2 3-seater, utilising the wings of the Me 262 HG III design, not to be confused with the 2-seat B-2a which had the engines under the wings. The kit contains 41 light grey parts, a clear vac canopy and an etched brass fret which provides some internal detail, though more will need to be added, but no fan blade for the HeS 011 turbojets in the wing roots so the spares box will get raided again. Also missing is any indication of the two 30mm Schrage Musik cannon either side of the cockpit. There is a small amount of flash present and minimal location tabs so a clean up and care will be the order of the day.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Me 262B-2
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 01:32:11 PM »
Housework?
What's that?
No, I know and yes, I do some.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »
Me 262B-2 3-seater, utilising the wings of the Me 262 HG III design, not to be confused with the 2-seat B-2a which had the engines under the wings.

As if we would - hohohoho - I think I am doing well if I differentiate between a WW1 and a WW2 plane - hohohohho
MSea

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 06:56:33 PM »
Like that box art.
Interesting kit.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 03:52:10 PM »
A pleasant afternoon spent sourcing decals from the scrap box for the cockpit as apart from the pilots console, which is painted, there is no detail. The a/c is a three seater but the etched brass is a generic set having only has two sets of seat belts. So it was time to resort to scrap brass and masking tape to make up a third set (furthest right in the photo).
When I came to fit the radio console, to the left of the two seats, I found that it was too wide. Rookie mistake I should have test fitted it before detailing!!! Hopefully it will sand down without me loosing any detail.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 02:48:45 PM »
Yesterday afternoon was spent working out how best to fit all the details into the cockpit, see first two photos. Apart from the 'stumps' that the seats go on there is no other indication of how everything fits and once it all looked ok it was left overnight to set fully. The fuel tanks and main wheels, both being in two halves were joined and again set aside, 3rd photo.
Today the cockpit tub and instrument panel were fitted to the upper body after after much trial fitting and removing ejector pins that looked like scale Giant Redwoods!! Then it was on to fitting the top and bottom fuselage halves together and again cutting down Redwoods but as can be seen in the last photo it's it's been a case of using brute force and ignorance (I'm well equipped there) to get the two halves together.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 05:33:21 PM »
A man with more than one model on the go at once, great stuff.
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »
I like to keep at least two things going that way I've something to do whilst the paint is drying etc. on the other one.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 03:20:32 PM »
A good move.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 03:38:05 PM »
Nose and tail sections fitted and sanded with just a small amount of filler needed before priming and checking again for areas requiring work. Intakes and exhausts have been sanded and primed already.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 03:44:28 PM »
Looking good
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
Much filling and fettling finally got me to the point where I could start painting. The underside is Tamiya NATO black as it's a better scale black. The upper surfaces are Lifecolour RLM 78 Hellblau with patches of Humbrol RLM 75 Grauviolett. I allowed over spray and spatter to give a more mottled effect. Having read somewhere that at one point the RLM were looking at the colour of night time clouds and noticed a pink tinge I thought I'd try and emulate that so I mixed RLM 75 with Humbrol 60, scarlet, and to lighten it used Dulux, yes Dulux, Nutmeg White emulsion until I was happy with the colour. This was then brush painted on to give the appearance of an after thought (which it is!). Cannon covers are painted RLM 61 from the Xtracrylic range and the wheel wells are Humbrol RLM 02. A small amount of touch up was required in the cockpit due to bleed under the masking.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »
Nice colouring.
Chris

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 06:38:37 PM »
Nice looking jet.
Looking forward to the end product.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 02:55:42 PM »
The main undercarriage legs are flush fit to the wheels and there's no way that the angle required would be possible so holes had to be drilled and lugs made and fitted. Also the top of the legs aren't angled to give the splayed effect so they were filed to shape and super-glued into the wells which have no locating points. Also noticeable in the bottom photo is the scratch-built Revi gun-sight.
The vacform canopy has been masked, painted and cut out but requires tidying up before being fitted.