Author Topic: Armoured Glass Windscreen for the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IX  (Read 1685 times)

meremodeller

• View Profile
Armoured Glass Windscreen for the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IX
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:48:50 AM »
This detail on the 1/32 scale spitfire is lacking and yet is very prominent when looking at the windscreen of the real aircraft. See photo.
Given that the armoured glass is 2” thick this scales down to 1/16”  which converts to 1.6 mm. Given that the thickness of the existing screen in the kit is 0.5 mm then the added glass needs to be 1.1 mm thick.
I found suitable sheet plastic in a drawer divider, this was polished, then cut to shape using the kit windscreen mask as a template. The surrounding frame was made up from stock plastic card with the added detail of the securing bolt housings made up from semi circular strip.
Finally the frame was airbrushed black, the actual screen given a coat of Future with the smallest amount of ‘Tamiya Clear Blue’ added to give a very slight tint.
The screen is now held in the kit frame with ‘Formula 560’.
The final effect will not to apparent until the model is painted etc. In the meantime I’m working on the ignition wiring for the Merlin!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Armoured Glass Windscreen for the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IX
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
Good stuff Bill.
Did you mention Spitfires - foibles?
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Hi Bill,

Its 'clear' to see your enthusiastic about this kit. I never knew how prominent the armoured glass was. Look forward to seeing it on the table sometime.
Well done on your scratch built accessory, your a man of patience not to mention skill.
Nice work,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »
That looks real good Bill. Even in 1/32nd that's some fine detail.
Andy
Andy