Author Topic: Website Update  (Read 2656 times)

Kiteman

Website Update
« on: March 15, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
I was just flicking through other parts of the website other than the usual models etc and have noticed that other parts of the website need a bit of an updating. Fregsample in "Links" there is still a link to modelzone in Hull which as I understand it, doesn`t exist anymore. The events calender requires populating as well, the AGM wasn`t in this usefull tool. Perhaps someone should have a good plough through the complete site and give it a bit of a sort out.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Website Update
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
We have had a few problems that do need sorting out, it may be being dealt with.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:25:26 PM »
Hi Kiteman,

I was just flicking through other parts of the website other than the usual models etc and have noticed that other parts of the website need a bit of an updating. Fregsample in "Links" there is still a link to modelzone in Hull which as I understand it, doesn`t exist anymore. The events calender requires populating as well, the AGM wasn`t in this usefull tool. Perhaps someone should have a good plough through the complete site and give it a bit of a sort out.

Yes, all you have said is correct. We did go over this issue at the AGM, and things are in hand to put some of these matters right.

However, it may take a little time as Mike who created the website for us works mainly overseas and has to fit in any website issues in between work and family. Andy is contacting him with regards the various items and hopefully some progress will be made soon.

For now, we are concentrating at club level to get more members visiting the website and posting on the forum on a regular basis, you know 'from small acorns great oak trees grow!'

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:50:15 AM »
The about us bit could do with updating, where we meet, times, days and so on.
Can it not be organised so that the blog can be accessed by members only?
You can still view the old blogs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:11:10 PM by zak »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 05:58:56 AM »
Hi Zak,

I think if I remember correctly, at the AGM,  Andy told us in his resume that he had asked Mike about turning the Blog feature back on after we had to shut it down due to somebody putting inappropriate items on there (hacked)

He said Mike said 'No' when he asked, so perhaps there is some security issue that can not be easily resolved in that respect, other than perhaps creating a new website with all the features we want active.

As to the Clubs location information, I will contact Mike to see if he can update that part at least for now. 

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »
Hi Zak,

I think if I remember correctly, at the AGM,  Andy told us in his resume that he had asked Mike about turning the Blog feature back on after we had to shut it down due to somebody putting inappropriate items on there (hacked)

He said Mike said 'No' when he asked, so perhaps there is some security issue that can not be easily resolved in that respect, other than perhaps creating a new website with all the features we want active.

As to the Clubs location information, I will contact Mike to see if he can update that part at least for now. 

Bigkev
Many thanks for the update.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 09:58:37 AM »
I'm just wondering what the benefits of the Blog actually are anyway as the Forum achieves the same thing as a blog would - that of an online diary of what we have been up to.  I appreciate that only registered members can post on the forum and the blog is possibly open to all, but do we actually want all and sundry commenting - possible inappropriately and irrelevantly - on our site.  If the answer is "YES" or "MAYBE" then we also need to identify someone to police it in a robust manner - pretty much a full time job on its own.

I don't know whether the format of the site is fixed or we have an option to change the page headings?  If the latter, then maybe a page devoted to the club members profiles/biographies - who they are and a bit about them  - for those who have no objection so we can get the human element of the club known.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:20 AM »
We did have this facility at one time but it seemed to disappear when we had security problems.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:14:05 AM »
Yes, so I think the question we need to ask is "do we need to bring the blog back again?"  If not, what do we fill the space with? (that was a second question to be asked if the answer to the first question is "NO")

Kiteman

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 12:53:36 PM »
Is that after I have written my letter home before I move my coat onto the lower peg......?

Haddock

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 04:15:16 PM »
Perhaps we ought to have a meeting to discuss the matter. All questions to be through the chair of course.
We could meet somewhere nice, we'd have to claim expenses though.
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 08:25:23 PM »
Howzabout Germany?