Author Topic: Building HMS Queen Elizabeth 1943  (Read 43967 times)

Haddock

Re: Building HMS Queen Elizabeth 1943
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »
It's strange but they look quite thick in the photos whereas on your models thay are hardly visible - where's the bloke?
      I think it's the camera deceiving the eye or vice-versa, they don't look so prominent to the naked eye although they are probably over-scale. The rigging material is EZ line, roughly 0.1 dia before stretching, stretched to about twice its free length. If you do the maths, stretching x2 don't mean the diameter is reduced by half, so it's all guesswork really and trying not to put too much strain on the brass-work, which is very fragile.
      As for "Wally", it would depend on his rank. The most senior officers would have marble halls with gold plated fittings, the junior officers would have stainless steel jobbies, the ratings would just have pot ones without wooden seats, the engineers would have to put up with a five gallon oil drum with the top chopped off and protected with an old bike tyre to protect the nether regions. All to do with class y'know.
Haddock.   

Haddock

« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2015, 03:09:52 PM »
         Now we can fly more flags than you can shake a stick at. Doesn't look as tidy as I would have hoped but it looks better in the flesh so to speak.
Haddock.

[attachment deleted by admin]

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
Get those signals aloft.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2015, 05:45:50 PM »
Brilliant, Just Brilliant!

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »
It looks tidy enough to me....fantastic work!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »
I guess when they're carrying Army passengers, the facility provided was to hang your backside over the edge and relax - hence "brown jobs?"

Haddock

« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2015, 01:54:49 PM »
Heck!
And I always thought those brown streaks were rust!
Take it from one who knows, not easy when it's blowing a force ten even on something that size, on a sixty foot fishing boat with about three foot of free-board, it's Kipling. We used to use a small beer barrel.
Haddock.

Haddock

« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2015, 12:25:31 PM »
               Here's a set of parts for the type 285 radar YAGI antenna. There should be four sets and another two with only two sets of dipoles.
               I can think of a better description!
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2015, 02:41:46 PM »
you are a braver man that me!

Haddock

« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
Not brave, just daft!!

Haddock

« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
                   Main-mast in place with some rigging on. I need to fill in those halyard pulleys to make 'em look solid.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2015, 10:49:34 AM »
I spent ages gazing at the last picture - I love the things like the life boats (assuming that's what they are) and the "feel" of just that area.  It's so 'boat like' if you know what I mean.  Looking forward to having a good skeg at this when it comes to the club meeting.

Kiteman

« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2015, 12:28:53 PM »
 I agree with Wizzel, there is that something that you can`t put your finger on that makes a model "feel" right.  Tony manages it with his ships, Zak with his vehicles and Kev with his aircraft. It is, for me, an abstract thing that I cant seem to get. It is the difference between a model and a minature representation of the real thing if you know what I mean. It really is hard to put into words.

Haddock

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
How romantic!

Haddock

« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
Phew!
            Radar antenna in place. Now I know why I like WW1 stuff, no bloody radar antenna!
Haddock.
Note to Wizzel.
         This is where the after-market stuff comes into it's own. I don't think you could re-create this sort of detail in plastic.