Author Topic: RAF Curtiss Mohawk  (Read 1482 times)

Kiteman

RAF Curtiss Mohawk
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »
Here is another one started from my stash. As usual in 1:48. I dont know how old this is but as you will see the fit of the parts leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of work with the newly discovered green putty. Never mind, it will fill a space in the modell room.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Curtiss Mohawk
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »
Hi Kiteman,
Another model, how do you find time.........................

That looks like a horrendous gap at the wing to fuselage join. I see you have filled it with Green Stuff.

One word of caution. I don't know whether you partially filled the gap with some plasticard before adding the filler.
Heavy applications of Green Stuff can cause problems as the solvent can soften and distort the surrounding plastic if added too liberally all at once. It is better to apply thin layers, sanding down between each after drying period. Thin coats of filler will need only 30mins to dry, heavy applications can take hours, and affect the plastic.
Keep up the good work.
Bigkev   
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Since posting this I have had problems with the filler cracking. I have rectified it by doing what you say, several thin layers and it seems to be holding. This model is becoming a nightmare and I feel like throwing it against the wall, first and last flight, but I shall make something of it....somehow!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
Following our discussion last night and having now seen the photographs of the underside, I can confirm that them weird things with holes in under the wings are hardpoints for bombs.

Kiteman

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »
thanks Wizzel. Seeing that there are no bombs in the kit I will assume that he is on his way home after letting them go! ;)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
Hi,

I'm not too sure about hardpoints for bombs. I don't think the Mohawk had wing mounted bombs, but I may be incorrect. I'll check my references before I say anything else.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better