Author Topic: Geetings fellow club members  (Read 3320 times)

Kiteman

Geetings fellow club members
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »
Hello all.

I thought it about time that I should pen a few lines to introduce myself as the newest menber of the Club, but before I do a few thanks. Firstly a very big thank you to Dave Mitchell ( the best friend a man could ask for) for getting me back into modelling after a break of over 40 years, and getting me into the Club. Thanks to Kevin Dolman for his welcoming and kind email, and thanks to Mike Pyott for Setting up my Internet account.
So that is it with the thanks, this is not the Oscars ceremony.
I have got back into modelling about a year or so ago after being once again bitten by the bug thanks to Dave. His enthusiasm, knowledge and love of modelling was an inspiration for me. Like most people I glued little bits of plastic together as a kid and remember enjoying it then. I have now entered the world of the grown ups and boy have things changed. I live and work in Germany and have not only the challenge of doing everything in German but now have had to learn another vocabulary...............modelling!!! Pre and post shading, ghosting, filling, dry brushing and a whole world of new things. By the way, what is the use of a hair brush????? Oh AIRBRUSH.!....never had one of those before.
When I started (again) i wasn´t sure what to modell, so I went for a relatively simple monoplane which when finished resembled something that I may have produced 45 years ago. We all have to start somewhere. So, I got myself more than one paintbrush and a smaller pair of tweezers and tried again. I have now settled into 1:48 WW1 aircraft.
I have seen some of the work from you guys on this site and in the newsletter and I must say.....I AM NOT WORTHY!
So enough ramblings, I look forward to meeting you all the next time that am back in òle blighty, and hope to make it across for the show in Sep.

Once again thanks to all and keep on glueing.   

Terry Statham

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Geetings fellow club members
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »
Hi Kiteman,

Thanks for your introduction letter in the forum. It is a pleasure to have you on board.

I am sure that your modelling skills are much better than you think, we are all guilty of being too self critical. Being part of a club also allows you to learn, ask questions, and get you enthusiasm stirred. Remember you are amongst like minded individuals, and we all have benefited from input from other members, no matter what skill level, there is always a new trick to learn, a better way of doing something,.........................

I for one look forward to meeting you when you come back to  'Blighty' in September. Keep in touch mate, remember that we are here to help whenever you need it, and that you too will have something to add to the diversity of the club. WELCOME!

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

bridlufc

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »
Hi Kiteman, nice to hear from you, welcome to the club, your modelling experience starts from here so there is no looking back now. If you have any queries just post it on the website and I am sure one of us will give you a response. Myself, I like the stealth stuff in 1/48, but there is always something else out there that always takes my fancy, that's why I have a stash of 100+ models and counting lol.

All the best, Bridlufc

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:44:26 AM »
 Always nice to welcome a new member - and Dave even paid your subs, what a friend he must be.
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »
Thanks for your welcoming words and offers of support. I reckon that I will need help over the next 40 years or so ;D. I have also accumilated 63 Models of WW1 aircraft in 1: 48. :) My ambition is to collect all aircraft that flew from Kitty Hawk in 1903 up to the end of WW1. I am fascinated by the different designs and liveries that were out there at that time and being an engineer by trade, the construction of lattice booms and rigging really takes my fancy. Problem is, I am a little scared to start on most of them :-[ as I want to do the model some justice and don`t yet feel up to it. Never mind I have plenty time to learn.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »
Looks like Tony Beesting will be your man then. He has built some superb WW1 biplannes, but has now moved onto 1/700 ships.
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:10:13 AM »
Now then.  Nice to hear from you at last Terry - and if I can echo the senitments of the others, whatever you need to know, just ask.  As you now know, we're all a friendly bunch of geezers and are more than happy to share hints, tips and experiences.

In our many conversations, we both know your models are coming on in leaps and bounds so be brave and post some pictures of them on here along with some accompanying text.  I'll do the same so we can both share the humiliation... ;D 

Nice to have you aboard anyway and we look forward to your active participation in the webite.

UW

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 04:32:58 PM »
Welcome to the club Terry.
You must be a Eduard fan.
Please send us some photo's of your work. Don't worry about daft things like skill levels, your a modeler that's what counts. 
Andy.
Andy

driffowl

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »
welcome terry. enjoyment is the main thing which is  something i think we all lose sight of sometimes,not a bad bunch really are we? 8)