Author Topic: Model shops catering for the modeller  (Read 1749 times)

bridlufc

Model shops catering for the modeller
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »
 Hi all, had cause to visit Scarborough today, so paid a visit to Boyes and Arrow models. Boyes had a good stock of modelling items, some of which, rather annoyingly, are not available in the Bridlington store. Next time I visit the Bridlington store I am going to mention the extensive range of modelling items they have in Scarborough. After several years hiatus, I have got back into home brew wine again. I occasionally like to try recipes away from the wine kits available which means I have to add my own ingredients, one of which is grape juice concentrate. As Boyes in Bridlington sell an extensive range of homebrew equipment and kits I went in to see if they sold grape juice concentrate, which they didn't. I pointed out to a sales assistant about the lack of availability of a key ingredient in wine home brewing, lo and behold, the next time I went in store what did they have on the shelf?  Yes, you guessed it, grape juice concentrate!!!
All credit to the Boyes staff for that one, so I hope it will work regarding modelling items.
Arrow models was a bit disappointing really, why do these so called model shops only give you what they want you to have, rather than what you need? I felt sure I would find some Alclad ll or Microscale stuff in there but no, I tasted disappointment again.

Regards Bridlufc

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Model shops catering for the modeller
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »
What was wrong with P & S Hobbies - much better stocked than arrow and Boyes - well in certain areas.
Grumpy by name and nature

Matthew

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
Hi tony

Don't worry I will be selling alclad ll at a very good price in the next month or so lol
😃

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »
St George's Day is the traditional day for picking dandelions for wine - not this years though  >:( and you can't get them in Boyes either!  I have just transferred 40 pints of dark ale to a keg for secondary fermentation.  It will be ready in about 3 weeks.  Tonight I started a vat of cider off.  That will be ready in a month or so.  By then, I should have enough rhubarb for this year's rhubarb wine.  Jolly good.

I am spoiled in that in Hull there are 3 Boyes' stores and also one in Beverley.  I've also noticed the variation in stock but like Tony pointed out, they are willing and sharp off the mark to provide stuff.  A service that's missing in a lot of places nowadays.

Tony, we have a massive patch of wild honeysuckle on the fields here.  If you fancy turning a gallon of that into wine this year, let me know and I'll get you some.

bridlufc

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »
No thanks Dave I'll smoke my own. As it happens I have some growing in my garden.

Regards Bridlufc