Author Topic: Swap / Sell / Exchange  (Read 3218 times)

Pen-Pusher

Swap / Sell / Exchange
« on: October 22, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »
We all have 'em! Kits we intended to do - or bought on impulse - or simply ones we lost interest in - and  clutter our stash-space, lonely, forlorn, dejected, looking for a kindly modeller to fulfil their single purpose! That said, don't let's forget we too are a breed apart, always looking for that elusive model from yesteryear which we now wish we had bought - so let's bring the two together! In the absence of a dedicated Swap / Sell / Exchange / Scrounge 'section', it's been suggested meantime we use this space and 'help' each other (and ourselves) by advertising and/or offering the 'unwanted' then asking or seeking the 'impossible' etc., etc..... well, you never know, that Holy Grail may just be out there?

Note: I suggest we place general offers/wants here - something like: 'Airfix Shackleton Mk.2 to good home?' but confine the nitty-gritty negotiation/bribing/blackmail to the messaging service! Give it some thought!

Kiteman

Re: Swap / Sell / Exchange
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »
Now I for one think that that is a wonderful idea! Another reason to log on apart from giving each other jip! It may even spur those members who are never seen on this means to come online and perhaps, if it is not too much to expect, take part in other pleasures that this site has to offer. Hopefully it will not be the same old faces doing the rounds again and again.
I am the pround owner of over 200 models in my stash that I have no hope of completing before I snuff it, and there are some models that I dont have that I would love to own, so I think the idea of a swap shop (remember Noel Edmunds) / classifieds / begging corner would add an interesting and fruitfull dimension to this allready fun filled website. I am with you on the idea that the business end of the deals should be dealt with personally but as a place to aquire or part with models and affilliated stuff, this medium is ideal.
I am all for it!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 05:03:20 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
Yep, a good idea from you. We all have 'those kits' squirreled away that we will never build. So what better idea to put them on here and see if any of the members want them to their collection.

I agree with You and Kiteman though, Private Messaging on an article/model will save a lot of time/space on here. Advertise it, and let interested parties get in touch via PM.

Bigkev 
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:47:38 AM »
A good idea and it's been done before - an ex-member used it to advertise stuff he was getting shut of - and I ended up getting my hands on a BV222 that I had been after for ages.  Imagine my annoyance though when it was reissued and at a lower price than I paid for the "rare and much sought after" original issue!!!  As you suggested, initial contact was made via the notice board and the details were agreed in PM.

Anyhow, the fact remains that the GENERAL DISCUSSION part of the website is for anything, including Swap/Sell/Exchange.  The difficult part is getting the members interested in logging on and joining in.  From my experience, no amount of promoting it in the newsletter or at meetings seems to fire them up which is a shame as we could be so much more active.  Of the 33 current paid up members, I send only 7 hard copy newsletters out so 26 members have access to the website - if they wish to access it.

Haddock

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »
You can of course just advertise in the news-letter!!

Kiteman

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »
You are not wrong Haddock but an advert in the Newsletter leaves open the question of how does someone in Patrington get in touch with someone in Germany? Answer....over the Website. As I said I am all for it ...lets not talk about it, lets do it. I agree with wizzel, a string in "general discussion" would suffice. So get mooching through yer stashes and get rid of what you will realistically never build!!!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
You can of course just advertise in the news-letter!!

Again, this has been done - July 2013 from memory, Trevor Wilson put some stuff for sale in there - check your own archives and correct me if necessary.  Our very own Kiteman also requested people to keep an eye out for a 1/48 Etrich Taube for him - which he now has.  I think the main issue is a lack of motivation from people in general to respond to requests to get involved unless there is little to no effort involved and there is something in it for them and sadly this trait is rife in ANY organisation.  Remember, you can lead an horse to water, but a pencil must be lead!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »
Hi All,

May I suggest that each month we list our unwanted/wanted items on both the website and the newsletter.

So our first 'For Sale/Wanted' would appear as 'November Sale/Wanted' in 'General Discussion' on the website and would appear in the November issue of the Newsletter also, but the seller must let Dave. M each month what to list in conjunction with the website listing.

Thereafter the next listings would be 'December Sale/Wanted' and so on.

I would then delete the November Sale/Wanted' on the website once December listings had been started, the newsletter items would only re-appear if the seller contacted Dave. M that the items were still for sale.

All negotiations would be by PM/email/phone/letter by the seller/buyer not through website dialogue.

What do you think?

Bigkev   
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »
Excellent! This may have been tried before but I'm all for giving it another go! We'll transfer over to 'General Discussion' if that's preferred and see what the reaction is. A newsletter listing will be good back-up but we WILL have to keep at it for a few months. I suggest we start now and also discuss at next meeting! I'm off to go through my stash....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:13:48 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 05:14:33 PM »
Okay.  I'll get a new "regular features" entry put in the newsletter POSTSCRIPT and summarise this in the editorial then - no need to include it in the Secretarial Rites Kev, I have it covered.

FOR USERS OF THE WEBSITE - if you have anything you want putting in the November issue, please email me by no later than end of play Sat 31 Oct 15.

Jolly good.

Kiteman

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 05:43:11 PM »
...and for those who don`t use the Website.......you can`t read this ;D