Author Topic: JUST KITS - MY EXPERIENCE  (Read 1800 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
JUST KITS - MY EXPERIENCE
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
I am currently after a particular aircraft in a specific scale (a 1/144 scale Hawker Hurricane) for my latest madcap project and, as I like to support the high street, thought I would go 'physical' shopping.  Modelzone and Hobbycraft (who previously did stock these) in Hull were not able to provide, so yesterday, I rang Just Kits on Hessle Road.

After asking if he had such a kit in stock, I was told he hadn't and, almost disdainfully, he said that such things probably didn't exist as it was a most unusual scale.  I explained about the 1/144 SIG and the Revell Micro Wings range and he checked his catalogue as he is a big stockist of Revell, confirmed that such things were available but it was most unlikely that he would be able/willing to get one in as a one off.  More likely it would have to be a rackful, which I got the impression he didn't fancy being stuck with.

The conversation ended with me feeling that rather than being a potential customer, I had been a bit of a nuisance by wanting a bit of an obscure, yet readily available kit which only cost a few quid; this by the tone of voice in which the conversation was delivered and the almost offhand way I was dismissed.  That, I though, is the end of that!

Ten minutes later, the telephone rang and a voice on the other end asked if I was "the bloke who had just called about the 1/144 scale Hurricane?"  To his credit, he had followed my enquiry up with his supplier who did indeed have this range in stock and could put 1 x 04913 on the next order, due to him in a few days and he would hold it for me to collect on Saturday.

Well done Just Kits.  It just goes to show that whilst an improvement on texts and letters, phone conversations can also be misread without the animated facial expressions that go with them.  I wonder what sort of face he will pull when I collect the kit on Saturday and ask him if he would consider giving us at the club a discount - don't think I'll be so cruel as to ask for it on the Hurricane though.  That might be pushing me PULHHEEMS a bit!!!

councilman

• View Profile
Re: JUST KITS - MY EXPERIENCE
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
Well I'm glad you got some customer satisfaction in the end. I didn't know you where into 1/144 aircraft. You really are a bit of a 'Butterfly' aren't you.. 
Andy.
Andy

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »
I wouldn't say I'm "into" them (yet) Andy - this is for a specific project - but that said, I was quite taken by the display the SIG put up at our show.  I may well venture a little further into this field yet...

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
Hi Wizzel,

Looks like you had good service from Just Kits, so a gold customer service star to them!

But did you know a Japanese company called Sweet make Hurricanes in 1/144th these come with two per pack,  and also Zveda of Russia also does a kit of a hurricane but not sure if there are one/two in the box.
( In fact I think Mr Cropper had one in stock!)

I made the Revell one, let me see 20...........30............ 40 years ago, eek!, and from what I remember was a good start point, that with a little work could be made into something quite nice.

I hope you enjoy building it mate.......................And  I hope to see Angels O-Five over the club table!

Bigkev.
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »
Thanks for the info Kev.  1/144 is starting to interest me, particularly for the bigger aircraft.  After seeing the SIG at our show, I was very impressed with what can be made of them.

I will dabble a little more in them soon - and I will get to Croppers soon too.

I shall look up Sweet to check out their range.

Dave M

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 07:57:39 AM »
Like kevin, I think I spotted a Hurricane of this scale in Croppers.
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature