Author Topic: Blohm und Voss BV 138  (Read 15544 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Re: Blohm und Voss BV 138
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 06:03:27 PM »
It's not intentional, just a result of the method I used to put the paint on - I think it may have been a little too thin for the last few coats - and the burnishing removes it slightly, but you're right, it does add something to the finish.  I suppose if I was to carry on burnishing, I would get a lovely all over smooth finish but with it being a seaplane, I think it adds to the overall effect of it, looking like it has been smashed with sea-spray so I may just hold it there and hope the Klear doesn't take it away completely - or I'll have to try and recreate it with weathering!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »
Tuesday evening.  Scout night in Withernsea, so with DCOS out of the way for 3 hours, I got to it.  An hour or so rubbing down with 6000, 8000 and 12000 micro mesh cloth made a very nice stressed steel effect that pleased me.  The raised panel lines that I took off right at the beginning have now "suggested" themselves under the skin rather realistically I think.  So, it is rubbed down and the upper surface has been Kleared, ready for the markings.  Tomorrow morning I imagine I'll get the crosses on the tops of the wings before I go to work, but until then, I keep working on them small bits; most of them are very fragile and so many have broken, despite my ever more careful attempts to remove them so it's a very delicate operation with superglue to join them again before painting them the appropriate colour, ready for fixing on right at the end.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:42:52 PM by Wizzel »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »
Looking Good Wizzel.

Look forward to seeing it 'sometime'

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 09:21:43 PM »
It won't be over much longer Kev.  I'm cracking on at a furious pace now.  I'm half tempted to take it to this blasted wedding to give me something to do just before and immediately after the 'happy couple' have said "I DO" but I doubt that would go down too well with DCOS!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2015, 07:13:29 AM »
Markings on - less the under wing crosses as I needed to touch up a bit of the underside so I only just put the Klear on underneath.  The crosses will go on tonight then it'll be a top coat of Klear on the upper surfaces, more work on the small bits then an early night ready for a zero five hundred start in the morning.  And what does the zero stand for?  Zero my god, it's early!  Yeah, doesn't have the same ring when you pronounce it correctly does it?  As an ex radio operator, I have an intense aversion to people who say "oh" when referring to numbers. 

Kiteman

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »
Now that is turning into a very nice model my friend. I do like the finish from what I can see on the photos.

Haddock

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 08:28:16 AM »
Now that is turning into a very nice model my friend. I do like the finish from what I can see on the photos.
I agree, it just needs to be sat on some water to finish it off.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »
This particular one will be on the beaching trolley, as requested by Ted, but the next one will be the minesweeper version with the degaussing ring under it.  That will be on water. 

Haddock

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 08:33:30 AM »
Yippee!

Kiteman

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
Wizzel? Water, What???

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2015, 09:01:11 AM »
Wizzle is turning to the dark side !!!!
MSea

Kiteman

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »
Wizzel will wet himself! It would suit him more if he was to mount the aircraft on an allotment.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »
Now there's an idea for my next crashed spitfire diorama; "spuds and spits"!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2015, 06:34:36 AM »
Anyhow, after a long time away from my bench what with one thing and another, over this last week I've managed to avoid DCOS and her distractions to get to the home straight with this one. The base is an old cork backed notice board from work with a bit of photo-mount card pressed under the frame that I had scored and painted.

It's Ted's 95th birthday on Saturday so I'll be popping round to give him this as part of his present from me.  Just a few last minute fiddly things to go on tonight after work; pitot head, DF loop and radio antenna, the bombs under the wing, the sliding side windows in the cockpit glazing, the MG in the open cupola behind the central engine and the cannon barrels in the front and rear turrets and it'll be ready to go.  Not before time an' all, eh?

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2015, 07:16:14 AM »
A nice present for him.
Well done.
Grumpy by name and nature