Author Topic: Paint  (Read 2665 times)

Joe

• View Profile
Paint
« on: June 27, 2011, 03:10:07 PM »
Has anybody ever had problems with paint cracking? I ve just sprayed a F-4 then left it 26hrs sprayed a white undercoat then this moring it looks like a dry river bed all the paint cracked   :-[ both tins were brand new ???.

driffowl

Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
did you prime it first joe ? it can be symptomatic of 2 alkyd/spirit based paints re acting with each other the solvents in enamels etc is quite aggressive and if the 2 coats have different solvents they cand re act againdt each other.

driffowl

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
just been on the phone to one of my technical buddies 3 main causes joe are

1 contaminated surface

2 over application <too thick a coat>

and 3 the most likely he thinks in this sticky weather

the 1st coat wasn't completely dry <so the 2 coats are drying at different rates

hope this helps mate

geoff

bridlufc

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:59:25 PM »
This happened to me once and I'm sure it was because I did'nt thin the paint enough.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »
This is all getting very technical, this warm weather is certainly a problem with acrylics I find.
Nice to see more people on here.
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

driffowl

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »
agreed dave i thought there was only 2 of us out there :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D

seasider

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
Are both types of paint the same type ie acrylic or enamel as enamel over acrylic is a definite no no. I found that out once and had to strip it back to bare plastic and that was all cracked

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm still alive!! just a little bit worn out!

Yes, I agree with the others Joe, it looks like our British weather has played tricks on your paint. I found out this to my cost once, thought I had primed properly, mixed properly, but had not counted on hunmididity and warmth when spraying. Lost a lot of paint, had to go back to square one and start again, and sprayed when it was cooler(not cold). and it worked.

For me it was a disaster, but in a way a blessing in disguise, as I do not spray in hot humid conditions anymore.

Good luck chum, pray for cooler dry conditions, mix your paint well, prepare your surface, have the right mix of paint and thinner, then PRAY!

If the modelling Gods answer all will be okay if not, Samaritans can be found at..............

Good luck,

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better