Author Topic: old style model shop  (Read 1325 times)

bridlufc

old style model shop
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »

Hi all, I was in Keighley, West Yorks, yesterday and I visited Toymaster which is on a similar line to Modelzone. Is this the direction model shops are heading nowadays? I was very disappointed with what they had on offer, although I did not check whether there was an alternative model shop in Keighley. Anyway, my impression of Toymaster is the same as Modelzone. Ok, everything is up to date with what is on offer, the lastest Airfix, the latest Hornby, but thats it. No alternative.There were no bargains or longed for kit hiding in a corner. The shop was too bright, too sterile, too bland.  The staff had no idea of after market kits etc, what you see is what you get.  Theres always a buzz wanting to visit model shops in other parts of the country but I fear the 'old style' model shop is on the decline.

Regards Tony

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: old style model shop
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:34:21 AM »
I'll see you in your favourite old style shop from next friday then.
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »
It's another "yearning for yesteryear" moment I'm afraid.  I think back to all the dusty old places I used to visit - both local and newly discovered gems when on holiday - and choke back a tear.  Not just models either and it's sad to say that as well as the displays and stock, the service has also declined.  As you pointed out, the staff are there to generate sales and sell you stuff, not necessarily to provide advice on the best product for the job.

Anybody remember Colin Stevenson's bike shop on Grovehill Road in Beverley?  We had a wool shop on the corner of Grovehill Road and Cherry Tree Lane 200 yards away.  The entire right hand wall of that place was covered with peg board and had row upon row of models hung there, the shelves behind the counter were jammed as was his stockroom.  On my 13th Birthday, I was sent there to pick up a model my Mum and Dad had ordered for my present and you could not measure my dissapointment when, instead of a Frog Vultee Vengeance, I came away with a brand new British Eagle 10 speed racer :'(  Parents can be so cruel!!!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:21 AM »
 ;)
How very sad - you ungrateful brat!!!!!!
Grumpy by name and nature