Author Topic: A DEFIANT TRIBUTE  (Read 2297 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
A DEFIANT TRIBUTE
« on: March 04, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
Afternoon all,

I have just received the latest IPMS magazine and thought it worth mentioning that the feature on the Boulton Paul Defiants by Neil and Bill was a superb read.  I say this because I also get Scale Aviation Modeller International and one of my biggest gripes on the kit reviews is that more often than not the person who has written the article is big on telling WHAT they have done but not HOW they did it so I am left feeling frustrated that there is something big missing from the article.  It is intensely annoying that many people write their articles and assume that all those who will read it have their knowledge and experience  Not so with this one (not indeed the feature on the Airfix Bofors Gun and Tractor).  In all respects, this reflects the down to earth and helpful nature of our club.  I have commented in the past that the knowledge I have gained from the very informative website entries is second to none and that is the main reason I enjoy coming online, even though I am a very slow contributor!!

Well done Neil and Bill - pity we don't see them on here a bit more often so those who don't get the magazines can share in their work too.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A DEFIANT TRIBUTE
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
I too echo your observations. It is great to see so many items being presented by club members in the IPMS magazine.
We need to encourage them to put a few things on here too.
I also like to 'know' how they got to 'that' result, so hopefully I can try the technique myself.
But WELL DONE to Neil and Bill for the article, and for keeping the club in the public eye.
Also Tony Wilson deserves a slap on the back for helping out in the instruction plans section.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »
I would echo wholeheartedly what you say Wizzel. Many decades ago I reviewed kits for two magazines and there, always tried to explain in some detail the process on what the modeller might expect! This wasn't always welcomed by the kit manufacturers involved and I quite frequently got letters (no emails in those days) from the two companies that used my meagre talents, complaining I had concentrated overmuch on the negative and not enough on the positive! I don't believe this was the case as a 'cautious' but honest review will most likely encourage a purchase as opposed to a bland 'accomplishment' review as so often happens now. But hey, that's me and as I find to my cost, even in the hallowed halls of this website, not all views and contributions are appreciated.

Like you Big Kev (and others before) it would be nice to see more contributors here - no matter what level of skills they demonstrate - as with few exceptions, all contributions are seen as furthering the aims and ambitions of us all - to share the enjoyment of our modelling, appreciate the time and effort put into creating something we should rightfully be proud of, and learning from the observations, suggestions and skills of others!

Well done Neil, Bill and everyone else who devote much of their time to ensuring our interest is not diminished. We walk humbly in your shadow.

Kiteman

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 05:38:51 PM »
As one who does not get the IPMS Magazine and is geographically disadvantaged when it comes to attending our little club, I would like to agree with all your comments on contributions to this website. I for one, as a not so experienced and capable modeller as some I see here, would like to say that the lessons learned from learned collegues on this site are pricelless. Thank you all for sharing "how and not just what you have done" to quote Wizzel. I am sure that there are many more competent modellers in our club that I have never heard from. It really is  a shame that it is the same old faces that appear here on a regular basis (don`t take that the wrong way please, it is meant as a compliment to contributors). I don`t know exactly how many members we have but according to the posts on this site we have only 5 or 6.
If you were to compound the experience and knowledge, the how too`s and tips, the build Reviews, the detailing and scratch build Engineering not to mention the fun and kamaradarie, into one book from this Website it would be thicker than War and Peace and cost an awful lot more than the little subsciptions that we pay each year. I for one am extremely thankful to the few that bother and would like to put out a call to all others who don`t. GET YOUR MODELLING ONTO THIS MEDIUM......IT HELPS US ALL. After all is that not what the club is all about.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 07:24:20 AM »
Last year we had 40 members in the club.
Grumpy by name and nature

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
That's quite a sizable membership Zak and in fairness to those who may view these pages but not feel they have the time or even the confidence to contribute, my message is simple - give it a go! Some here have more time on their hands (What am I saying!!!). Some are also keener to share their experiences and their builds and others simply peruse the various contributions at their leisure. I have sometimes questioned the merit of putting so many items on but as someone more experienced once assured me in a time of doubt, 'Remember, there are many who look but never speak!' So to those of you who look but never contribute I say again - come on GIVE IT A GO!

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
We did once have a sort of tutorial on how to use the website at a club meeting. maybe we need to do the same again.
I must say I have been otherwise engaged since January and not much modelling has gone on.
So I am as guilty of not posting much.

Haddock

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
I'm sure you'll make up for it soon.
Haddock

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »
Haddock
I don't know what you mean.

Kiteman

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
No-one can accuse you of not contributing...in all ways  ;)

Haddock

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »
Haddock
I don't know what you mean.
Well when you're finished being otherwise engaged, we're all expecting a deluge of posts.
Haddock.