Author Topic: Bigkev's W.I.P No.6 Revell BAC/Aerospatiale Concorde 1/144th British Airways  (Read 32501 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Well painting now underway at last. I cleaned the airframe by wiping over with Plastic Prep, which removes grease and dirt. Once this had dried, I prepared my base paint which was applied over the areas of filler, and major joints.
I used Revell No.4 Matt White, with white spirit and cellulose as thinner. I found the White to be slightly cream in colour not a stark white which surprised me slightly, but did show up well where I had painted. The paint was applied by airbrush, with several thin coats necessary to kill the filler colour.
Once dry overnight, I then rubbed down the paint with 8000 grade micromesh, to give a really smooth surface, and also to remove any blemishes.
My next task will be give the whole airframe another coat of Matt White, but this time I will be using a tin of Humbrol Matt White enamel (No.4 size) that I found lurking in the garage that is about 10 years old!!
I opened it and found it to be in great condition and once properly stirred a good bright white, this will be the ideal base for the high gloss white I will be applying later.
Some pictures of initial Revell White painting done attached:-
Bigkev 

[attachment deleted by admin]

I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
It looks good even from this far away!
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Blooming 'eck Zak,

Where did you get those specs from? The Russians?
Have a great time,
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Just to let you know all is well on the spraying of 'White'.

I have dispatched one airbrush which has failed, and cannot be resurrected. However I am confident, that its replacement will do the honours admirably.
Cannot post any pictures at moment as it is all a bit delicate and drying off. However after a couple of days drying I think I will be able to show how far we are, though both top and bottom still will need another coat (or two).
Note to Self:- Next project will not be 'White'
Bigkev

Haddock

How about "grey"

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You mean to match my hair??
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
Is it grey? Is there enough to tell?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not after tonight, my darling wife has been let loose with the hair clippers!!

Yoikees!!

Bigkev

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
It's all the science that scares me- mixing this with that and such like.  Is there a template to it all or is it trial and error?  Whatever it is, the finish you get is astounding.

Kiteman

Ditto!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Well not posted for a few days. Posting 'White' pictures all the time a bit boring.
But I have been busy painting and touching up here and there.
I am now happy with the 'white' and next job is to seal it with some 'Kleer' or similar before applying natural metal areas to engine nacelles. This is prevent (or reduce) chance of any paint lifting something I would not be too happy about.
Here are some nice 'white' pictures to show paint job so far.
Bigkev 

zak

• View Profile
it looks "All White" to me.

Kiteman

Dooooh!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
it looks "All White" to me.

That's because it's powered by engines not horses - no yolks needed.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Okay Guys,

A little bit of time has passed since I last posted but I haven't been idle.

I have managed to paint the engine nacelles, and I started by painting these Gloss Black in readiness for Alclad II. I had to mask off all the natural metal areas first and this was achieved using Tamiya tape and Paper. First thin strips of tape about 2mm wide was applied to the edges, then a further thicker tape edged with strips of paper. This covers a  large area quickly and reduces the amount of tape in contact with painted surfaces. However problems were encountered.

The Gloss Black was sprayed on and allowed to dry, then Alclad II Duralumin was sprayed onto all the natural metal areas exposed. The first part of the nacelle was then masked out and Alclad Steel was airbrushed on  the remaining areas. After about 30mins this was over airbrushed with Alclad 'Jet Exhaust' to the rear of the hot areas. This help portray the hot areas of the nacelle quite well.
The tape and paper was removed to reveal the paint job. Great, up to the last couple of masking tape strips, when the starboard inner upper elevon paint job peeled................ BLAST!

The only way to rectify this was a re-spray of the elevon to be tackled at a later stage. However the 'Metal' areas were pleasing, despite the elevon problem.

Oooooh well, strip the elevon, and repaint!!

Some pictures to show what I describe follow:-

Bigkev 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:40:12 PM by Bigkev »