Author Topic: In my shed  (Read 2065 times)

bridlufc

In my shed
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:53 PM »
Hi all, in a previous issue of a scale modelling magazine some of the contributors listed what they 'had in the background' regarding their modelling room/shed. By this they meant a radio, a tv programme, a film on tv or laptop or music from various sources. Some have certain preferences like a favourite film that they have watched a few times and they know the dialogue so they don't actually watch the film because they know what is coming next so it helps concentrate on the modelling.
Myself, I either listen to football commentary on the radio or, if there is no match on, I will listen to music that I have on an old laptop. The beauty of using my laptop is that I can compile a playlist and just press play. I have a varied library of music and I can select music as the mood takes me.
What about you chaps?

Regards Tony

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: In my shed
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »
I mostly listen to radio 2. Sometimes a cd or cassette is inserted in the correct slot. Then its Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, The Black Crowes and so on.
Dave
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:19:23 PM by zak »
Grumpy by name and nature

bridlufc

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »
I like your choice of music zak, just the sort I like to listen to. I would add Yes, Genesis,  Jethro Tull and a smattering of Caravan. Easy listening or what?

Regards Tony

driffowl

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 08:59:33 AM »
nice one chaps  some great choices from tony n dave . i have my old ghetto blaster 100s of cds just start at the top of one of the piles and work my way through them,but i must admit ive started buying cd books and love those on in the background.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
Hi Gang,

I agree with you all, whatever suits your taste in music or entertainment, makes modelling more enjoyable.

I go from Glenn Miller band music to Songs from the Shows, quite easily.

Music calms the savage beast, especially when I drop the 'Blinking' part for the umpteenth time!

Then I play I get knocked down but I pick it up again ( words slightly changed)

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
Is it too late to reply to this thread?
Any way,
In my shed I'm still on with my S-100 Schnellboot, big build but its going well. Also I'm having a bit of fun with a V2 rocket, I'm building it as a 1/144th Nazi manned space rocket, inspired by the film 'Iron Sky'. Also also I'm having a go at a paper model of the R100 Airship. There you go! that's whats on my workbench.
As for music, well I like listening to all sorts. Mainly 70's 80's stuff. Mixed in with the odd Film. Oh! and there's the audio book ' Al-Qaeda for beginners' but I cant understand the West Yorkshire accent....
Cheers. Andy.
Andy

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
By the gracious will of DCOS (see the April newsletter - out soon), I have been allowed a small corner of what was the spare bedroom and is now the "hobbies" room.  In that corner, I have crammed my Marshall JCM800 bass amplifier and 4 x 12 cabinet, 3 guitars which are hung on the wall, an offcut of kitchen worktop, a ply backboard and some shelves on which sit my modelling tools, paints etc.  I have also been permitted partial space on the craft book shelf unit for my little music system.

I am a big radio fan so more often than not, when I sit down to model, I turn Radio 4 on and let whatever is playing just wash over me.  I tend to find that when I am in "model mode" I am concentrating on it fairly intently so that all background noise is just out of range.  Radio 4 often fits that bill as there can be some very dry subjects on there so while it's comforting to have some voices in the background, it's nice not to have to actively listen and respond to them.

If I put music on, it can be a mixture of anything from Mozart to Motorhead, but never anything I am learning the bass line to, or I start bopping away and the frames on my canopy become a little inaccurate!  I have found the best combination of talking and music is Desert Island Discs, so with over 500 episodes of that on my ipod, that can also fill in some of those long hours trying not to sniff glue.

driffowl

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »
good choice dave i too would listen to radio 4 if i could but i cannot get any sort of reception in garage at all. if i get chance to do a bit of modelling in the front room on a saturday morning 9 -11am danny baker on 5 live is a must and on sunday archers omnibus and desert island discs 8)

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »
I find that a bit of David Bowie helps with my modelling. 8)
Andy