Author Topic: Twin boom crossed over!  (Read 2415 times)

Pen-Pusher

Twin boom crossed over!
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:08:44 AM »
A little known event to historians here in the UK provides an interesting modelling project for those who like building WWII aircraft! Martin James Monti (October 24, 1921 – September 11, 2000) was a United States Army Air Force pilot who defected to the Axis powers in October 1944 and worked as a propaganda broadcaster and writer. After the end of World War II, he was tried and sentenced to a long prison term for desertion, then pardoned, then tried for treason and sentenced to another long term.

Born in St. Louis, Monti was one of seven children of prosperous parents. His father was an investment broker who had immigrated to the United States from the Italian Graubünden, the Italian-speaking region of Switzerland. His mother was from Germany. Four of his brothers served in the Navy during World War II. During the 1930s, Monti was an anti-Communist and an enthusiastic admirer of Charles Coughlin, a Roman Catholic priest who made weekly radio broadcasts. Coughlin was known for his anti-Communism, his anti-Semitism and his admiration of the Fascist governments of Germany and Italy. His broadcasts attracted audiences of millions before being stopped in 1939 on the outbreak of World War II.

In October 1942, Monti travelled to Detroit to meet Father Coughlin. In November, he enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet. During 1943 and early 1944, he completed flying training and was commissioned. He qualified in the P-39 Airacobra and the P-38 Lightning, and was promoted to second lieutenant and in August 1944, he was sent to Karachi, India (now in Pakistan).
While attached to the 126th Replacement Depot as a first lieutenant, he hitched a ride aboard a C-46 tranport aircraft to Cairo, Egypt, and from there he travelled to Italy, via Tripoli, Libya. At Foggia, he visited the 82nd Fighter Group, and then made his way to Pomigliano Airfield, north of Naples, where the 354th Air Service Squadron prepared aircraft for assignment to line squadrons.
He noticed that an aircraft, a reconnaissance version of the P-38, needed work and required a test flight after repairs. Volunteering for this, he stole the aircraft and flew to Milan where, he landed and surrendered the plane to German forces. Monti was initially treated as a normal prisoner of war by the Germans until he was able to convince them he had defected out of genuine conviction. His aircraft was handed over to Zirkus Rosarius, (JG-51)  the Luftwaffe unit that tested Allied aircraft that were captured in flying condition. Originally it was kept in its USAAC markings (Coded MK) but later sported the standard German camouflage but with yellow tail, upper wingtips and underside.

At the end of 1944, Monti made a microphone test at the recording studio of SS-Standarte Kurt Eggers, a propaganda unit of the Waffen-SS, under the direction of Guenter d’Alquen, in Berlin, Germany. In early 1945, he was briefly employed by Reichs-Rundfunk-Gesellschaft, the German state radio organization. There, he came into contact with Mildred Gillars, the American broadcaster widely known as “Axis Sally”. Gillars took an immediate dislike to Monti and threatened to resign rather than work with him. However, Monti’s lack of ability as a radio commentator meant he made only a handful of broadcasts.

Monti later joined the SS as a SS-Untersturmführer and participated in writing and composing a leaflet to be distributed by members of the German military forces, and among Allied prisoners of war. At the end of the war, he was ordered to Italy, where he surrendered to US forces on May 10, 1945, still wearing his SS uniform. In 1946, Monti was court-martialed for stealing the plane and for desertion; he was sentenced to 15 years in prison. His sentence was later suspended and he was allowed to re-enlist in the Army as a private on February 11, 1947. He was a sergeant when he was discharged on January 26, 1948.

Interestingly the aircraft was still flying at the end of the war and was found on one occasion to have provided a test-bed airframe for German engines. It was returned dismantled to the US in 1946.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:59:02 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

Re: Twin boom crossed over!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
Another painting guide.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:50:27 PM »
Hi Pen Pusher,
That's a very interesting story and one I didn't know about. I have seen the colour profiles before in other publications but never the photograph.

However, I have a problem with the profile. It depicts an early lightning probably a P-38E or F Lightning, complete with nose armament.
From my limited general knowledge the P-38 Lightning version flown as the main dedicated reconnaissance version was designated an F-5, sometimes listed as F-5E. As far as I can ascertain these were unarmed.

If you look at the photograph, it would appear to depict a later Lightning model than the profile, as the engine cowlings are (or appear to be) of the later deeper profile of the P-38G or J version.
I accept that some P-38F's were converted to reconnaissance aircraft in around 1942 designated F-4's, with all armament removed and 4 camera's installed into the nose.

So with what you have is a mystery. The profile is wrong as it shows armament fitted, the picture appears to be a later model by virtue of engines, so probably cannot be a converted P-38F  aka F-4.

An interesting conundrum, on an interesting story.

Perhaps another club member can add more light, and answer some of my observations. As I have said before, I am not an expert, but you know when something just doesn't seem to add up...............

Bigkev   
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:16:17 PM »
Thanks for that Kev. You're right of course. We could assume the profile is wrong but I tend to think maybe the official records include an error as the colour photo also shows the a/c fitted with guns? Where the confusion may be is that the Germans did use this and other P38's for a variety of 'operational' tasks including - you guessed it, reconnaissance!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 07:18:36 AM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
Thanks for the reply.
Still not convinced that black and white photo is the same one as colour profile, due to my previous observations. Looking at the photo's again the Black and white one is probably a totally different aircraft to the official colour one.

Perhaps the black and white photograph shows the F-5 series of Lightning, a variant of the P-38G/J which was introduced later in the war around the time of the incident??

Do you know the aircraft code letters and s/n for stolen aircraft, that might help verify the actual model involved in the saga.

Bigkev

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »
A bit more research was called for. I think the confusion lies with the colour photo I was original supplied with which is actually a P-38 G. According to this German source, this P-38G, it was operated by 2.Staffel of Versuchsverband der Luftwaffe but used at least twice for reconnaissance duties. (We 'ave ways of getting this information you know!)

The aircraft that was piloted by a Martin J Monti aircraft is listed in two sources as a 'P38 F5E (recon) serial number 44-23725' which adds more confusion? He stole the aircraft from the 354th air service squadron a Pomigliano and landed at Milan-Linate airfield. Here's another couple of photos that might help.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 09:44:55 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
Thanks for the two latest photograph/profiles, these are what I would interpret as in keeping with the previous black and white photograph at beginning of this article.
They have the deeper chin intakes of the P-38G, and the camera installations I would expect to see in the F-5E, the reconnaissance variant of the P-38G.
I think that the previous colour photograph, and then colour profile produced from it is where the confusion lies.
Great stuff, I like this type of article, something that I have little direct knowledge of, but can then learn and apply my own interpretations to reach a point of better understanding.
Thankyou very much.
Bigkev